Recover Hard Drive

Old 06-07-10, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recover Hard Drive

How can I transfer info from an old hard drive to a new computer.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-10, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
In a very general description, basically you can usually attach the old drive as a slave [or on it's own channel] and then move the data via Windows Explorer or other file management program. If you're wanting to move the entire drive including the OS and program files that's a bit more involved.

Old 06-07-10, 02:41 PM
How do I connect it and use it as a slave?

Old 06-07-10, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
This will be pretty involved and require a lot of Q&A if you're sure you're up to it.

First off are the old and new drives IDE or SATA?

Old 06-07-10, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
P.S. All you other geeky types chime in any time I'm missing something. Beer 4U2

Old 06-07-10, 06:00 PM
GEEKY TYPES ??????? Who You callin a Geek????? Just Cuz I drive a little VW , painted black and white with A BIG ORANGE LOGO on the side........

Anyway.....

For Practical Purposes , I'll just assume you bought a New PC, It runs great, Its fast as lightning,It does all sorts of cool stuff, BUT.....The pictures of Uncle Ted and Aunt Sadie From Last Fouth Of July Family Picnic are still on your old PC?????
The easiest way Ive seen, Is a USB to SATA/IDE adapter. Remove the harddrive from the old PC, Plug the adapter into the drive, and the other end into a USB port on the new PC. Plug the Power adapter into the old hard drive, and start everything Up. In "MY COMPUTER", you will see the old Harddrive listed as a USB DEVICE. Double Click the Old drive, and Cut and paste until Your Heart is content. These are common Items at any Computer Supply store, and will Probably only set you Back about 15 or 20 Bucks.
After That, You can keep Your old drive for Extra storage....Basically Consider it a HUGE PEN DRIVE, and youll get the Idea.

Old 06-07-10, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Seagate's "seatools" will make a exact copy of your existing hard drive along with other functions. I would assume other drive manufactures have similar programs also for free.

Old 06-07-10, 08:10 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I gotta go with what Unclediezel posted. That's what I did and it was a piece of cake.

Old 06-08-10, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Man, didn't take long for all the geeks to come out of the woodwork.

My geekiness has slipped a little; I wasn't aware of the USB to SATA/IDE adapter.

Old 06-08-10, 10:07 PM
djosephs,

You never answered the questions... most important one being "...are the old and new drives IDE or SATA?"

By your initial questions, are we assuming your new computer has SATA drive(s) but the old drive can be either SATA (not that old) or IDE/EIDE (a.k.a. PATA, old).

If the old drive is SATA, you need a dedicated SATA cable to connect to the SATA device (there can be only one SATA device connected to the SATA mobo/adapter interface). Assuming your new computer has an SATA CD/DVD device, you may be out of SATA connectors on the mobo. If so, disconnect the CD/DVD device and connect the SATA drive instead (else, install an adapter card equipped with SATA interface to provide additional SATA connectors).

If the old drive is EIDE, look at your mobo for the IDE interface connectors (primary and secondary, IDE-1 and IDE-2, or IDE-0 and IDE-1). You will need an IDE (flat) data cable and power connector to hook it up to the secondary IDE connector. Look at the drive's jumpers next to the cable interface -- jump "CS" (cable select) and connect the drive to the end of the IDE cable. The problem you will run into is if the old drive has a boot sector (i.e., the primary drive taken from another PC) because your PC will boot off this old drive first (that's a quirk in most PCs' BIOS... IDE interface boot has higher priority than SATA interface boot. Let us know if this is the case because there are workarounds for that).

Old 06-09-10, 02:32 PM
For real easy, just get a crossover ethernet cable; connect the two computers, and transfer your files.

Old 06-09-10, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Depending on the total size of the files being moved, a flash drive may be all which is required

Old 06-09-10, 04:22 PM
What about the EASY TRANSFER CABLE for microsoft XP to VISTA ?