network key help

Old 06-15-10, 07:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
network key help

Ok, my turn to ask a question. Is there a way to have the network key for my router remembered? I have to type in the password everytime and it gets tiring. I was told to use the Windows controller.

Old 06-15-10, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Jim, I think whoever gave that info was correct. Somewhere it asks if you want Windows to either control or maintain the router settings. Clicking "yes" will alleviate the password thingy. Are you talking about the WEP or WPA key word? Mine always remembers it, but I have it stored on my super secret file of passwords, somewhere on the computer.

Old 06-15-10, 07:20 PM
W
wgc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes, but need more info

Yes, it certainly is, but you need to provide more information on what you mean.

Do you have a wireless network with either WEP or WPA security enabled and some sort of client device that prompts you for the network key when you are trying to connect to the network? Is that device a laptop computer? What operating system is it running?

I seem to remember seeing a checkbox on the network key prompt for some versions of Windows, but it's been years since I've seen one. Can you provide a screen shot or something?

I have a laptop running Microsoft Vista and can set the network key like:
- right-click on the network icon in the system tray, and choose "Network and Sharing Center"
- select "Manage Wireless Networks
- right-click on my network and choose "Properties
- select the "Security" tab
- type in the network key and select "OK" to save

Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: