Best computer for college online

Old 06-24-10, 09:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best computer for college online

I currently have a laptop that's fours years old and have too many problems to try and update it for school. I will consider a desktop since I have a laptop for travel purposes. I will need to charge this item and do not want to spend more than $800.00 or less. I would appreciate any input especially from those who have used their computer for online classes. The computer requirements for school are below. Thanks!!

Windows
Pentium II
(Recommended: Pentium III or above)
128 MB RAM
(Recommended: 256 MB)
Windows 98
(Recommended: Windows 2000 / XP)
CD-ROM drive
10 GB hard disk space
(Recommended: 20 GB)
Dialup 56K Modem
(Recommended: DSL / Cable high speed internet) Macintosh

SOFTWARE

Web Browser
Having an up-to-date web browser is important because it enables the use of the latest delivery technology.
Windows
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
A newer browser will normally have Java installed and enabled. The following browser plug-ins may be required and can be downloaded for free as needed:
• QuickTime
• RealPlayer
• Macromedia Flash / Shockwave Players

Old 06-24-10, 10:52 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
What problems are you having?

Before spending money on a new computer I would suggest getting rid of Windows and installing Linux with the latest Firefox browser. That should do everything you need to do even on older hardware. You can pretest some flavors of Linux such as PClinuxOS without installing. Just download and burn to CD or DVD and boot from the CD. If everything works you can then install. And if everything works you haven't spent any money. You can use that $800 for tuition.

Old 06-24-10, 11:28 PM
It is extremely slow. I've done so many things to improve its' speed, to no avail. My graphics driver won't work, and no new driver is available. I planned on using my palm for a hot spot for normal communications, however it doesn't have a driver for that application. Using IM for emails is slow. So does that give you enough data? I appreciate the help!!!

Old 06-25-10, 03:40 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A 10 year old computer would satisfy the school's requirements.

Your computer is certainly worth getting fixed. If you have the original CDs that came with it, wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything.

Old 06-25-10, 09:02 AM
It is extremely slow. I've done so many things to improve its' speed, to no avail.
A lot of that is due to the garbage a Windows computer collects. Wiping the hard drive as Rick suggests is a good start. Installing Linux instead of Windows will prevent some of that garbage from building up. Do you have ATI or Nvidia based graphics card?

Old 06-25-10, 08:08 PM
thanks Rick

ray2047, Nvidia. Not sure if I still have the CD's. I recently moved and may have a challege. But will look and do this. Linux, who and what is this?

Old 06-25-10, 08:46 PM
Linux is an operating system for PCs just like Windows. While it generally won't run Windows software there are Linux equivalents for almost all Windows software. Linux software with few exceptions is free and easier to install.

I use PClinuxOS. I highly recommend it for beginners. Very easy to learn. I would suggest the full KDE version. You an go to Built Penguin Tough PCLinuxOS and read about it.

You can try it on your computer without installing it. Just download the ISO file and burn to CD or DVD. Instructions for doing this are on the download page. Then you just boot the computer from the CD. You will have a complete operating system that you can use for browsing etc. If you like it and everything works then you can consider dumping Windows and installing it.

The reason I asked about Video was to be sure you had a chipset that was well supported in Linux. Nvidia has perhaps the best support.

Here is a page specifically on the version of PCLOS I am recommending: KDE Desktop PCLinuxOS

Of course I tend to be a Linux enthusiast and I don't mean to pressure you into something you would be uncomfortable with. Just reinstalling Windows may work or if the discs are lost your manufacturer may be able to replace them.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-25-10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 06:49 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
nvidia's website has all the latest drivers.

Old 06-28-10, 09:51 PM
Hi Rick, Been there, done that. According to their website, they do not have a new driver for my computer. Yet I get an error stating that my graphic card is no working properly. Any other ideals? I've downloaded driver wizard, etc, but I must purchase to fix my problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: