Modem Connection Speed Changes

Old 07-30-10, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Modem Connection Speed Changes

Everyday for a long time now when I notice that my internet connection is running slow I have to reset the modem.
It's a Motorola 3347.
I have 5 MB speed and normally get 4.2-4.8 MB speed but when it slows to .8-2 MB I reset the thing sometimes 2-4 times a day if I am busy on the computer.
What gives?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-10, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you checked firmware versions with the most recent available? There might be an update that fixes a bug. However, I noticed the versions of the modem I found were all wireless. My suspicion is that you've been hacked by neighbors. When you turn off the modem you break the wireless connections and after you turn it back on computers around you start to reconnect. Before you reboot it see if there is an administrator page on the modem's management software that show's connected devices. If there are some I suggest reading through the manual and setting up MAC (machine address) security on the modem. My only other thought is that a computer on your home network might be infected with a root kit or bot and someone is using it and your bandwidth and hiding it from you.