Fix old or buy new?

Old 08-01-10, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix old or buy new?

Thinkin 5 year old? Dell Dimension 3000 Pentium4, 70G hard drive, 2Gb ram, run WinXP ser pak 3. Kaspersky Anti Virus.
Downloaded update to IE 8, now its too slow. Broadband hookup is draggin. I realize this is a dinosaur.
Service shops want $150+ to clean up and re install. My question: Would money be better spent on new low end machine? Say around $400 for new desktop unit only?
We use this machine for email, lots of music & occasional video, U Tube & stuff. Almost no games.
Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-10, 07:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Get rid of Windows and install Linux. It won't cost anything and your computer should run good as new. I would recommend PCLinuxOS. You can download it from The delicious distribution PCLinuxOS . There is complete instructions on how to do it on the download page. You will have a Live CD that you can use without installing that will do everything you want to do. With 2 gigs of ram it will probably run faster then Windows is running. Once your sure it works OK for you you can install it.

Old 08-01-10, 07:08 PM
First off, do you know the speed of your processor? I have an old P4 1.9Ghz that runs Windows XP sp3 without a problem and it only has 1GB of RAM with a 40GB hard drive. Run a defrag on your hard drive, and a disc clean up. If you want to know how, I can guide you through the steps

Old 08-01-10, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
For e-mail and internet stuff I say your system is plenty good. You may need more hard drive space but with your CUP and 2GB of RAM. You may want to do a sweep of your system with your anti-virus and I hear good things about Microsoft Security Essentials (It free) Another option is to dump IE and go to Firefox or Google chrome. They are much faster.

Old 08-01-10, 08:24 PM
Processor is 3Ghz, I have defragged & disc clean up & delete old files often. I will look at swapping out web browser or windows, or both, it seemed to run slower with every update.
Thanks for the input, will have to look at those options & see which is easiest transition.

Old 08-01-10, 08:36 PM
That's basically the box Im using as a desktop I paid 38.50 for it on eBay (local pickup no shipping ) a little over a year ago

I bought one for my son a few months back locally off Craig's list for 50.

you should be able to find one fully functional with xp or xp pro and possibly other software for less than 75 (try it before you buy )

Old 08-01-10, 09:02 PM
I do think a larger hard drive would help, like to keep it under 500G as I hear complaints about quality control at that size an larger.
I like the idea of new web browser, not sure if I should change over to linux as well. Don't know the pros & cons on that topic.
Thanks for ideas, never thought of craigslist for computer equipment. I sure buy lots of firewood there. (grin)

Old 08-02-10, 04:10 AM
R
IE8 is probably the villain here -- the reason your machine started to drag. It is a resource hog that's designed to run on the latest & greatest.

Have you ever wiped the machine? That's really the only sure way to clean out the thousands of old registry entries, drivers, prelaunch, and other junk that accumulates.

Because of your machine's age, you really should backup all data, format the C drive, and reinstall Windows, SP3, and your programs.

When you're done, don't even launch IE. Instead, download Firefox.

As good as Kaspersky is, it does slow the machine as it looks at every bit of information coming in & out. I gave up on it and installed Avast for basic virus protection.

BTW, I use a couple of USB external hard drives for backup and media. A 300-gig drive is less than $70.

Old 08-02-10, 06:30 AM
I have wiped this machine twice in 2 yrs.
Question: Will I be able to download Firefox after a wipe, as there will not be a browser installed? Don't remember how that worked, process takes so long.
Is there a very good site to guide you thru a good format? maybe one better than other?
Any suggestions on descent quality 300G hard drive?
I think that is good idea, format then re install,
thanks.

Old 08-02-10, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
DL the browser(s) before the reinstall and save on a flash drive.

I just format using the XP disk.

Old 08-02-10, 08:52 PM
Very good, have old disc formatted, will do fine till we find larger hard drive. Firefox is working great! Gotta think about dropping Kaspersky, certainly dont need any more drag than necessary.

Thanks, you guys helped a lot, appreciate that!
Great forum here.Beer 4U2

Old 08-04-10, 09:17 AM
H
linux

Tried downloading linux as one member indicated but it always times out.

Harlan

Old 08-04-10, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Harlan View Post
Tried downloading linux as one member indicated but it always times out.

Harlan
Give more details and I'll be glad to try to help. You do need broadband. Did you try mpre then once on different days? You can also usually buy discs for a couple of dollars.

Old 08-04-10, 12:07 PM
H
Thanks, I just kept trying and did it get downloaded. I'm new to Linux. Am I correct I can copy the download file to a CD and load Linux from the CD?

Old 08-04-10, 01:14 PM
You don't copy it as data though you burn it as an image file. Yes, you shut your computer down and reboot from the CD orDVD. In Bios your CD drive must be set as first boot device. On modern computers it usually is. Did you download the full KDE addition? That is best for beginners.

If you need help burning an image file there is a link to a free easy one for Windows on the download page of PCLOS.

Old 08-04-10, 04:19 PM
H
Yes, that is the one I downloaded.

Thanks,

Old 08-10-10, 09:15 AM
S
IE8 is horrible even on new machines. You shuold use firefox.

Old 08-10-10, 10:30 AM
Have fresh Winxp & use Firefox, computer runs great now.
Question: Keep getting pop-up to update Win to IE 8? I keep cancelling download, I'm thinkin there is no advantage to download of IE 8, such as security updates? If I understand correct, running Firefox has no use at all for IE updates.

just a note,

I still use Kaspersky till I find another anti virus program.

Thanks,,

Old 08-10-10, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the popups are annoying, there's no real reason NOT to download IE...just don't use it. Sometimes though...it's nice to have another browser to check for problems. I use FF 98% of the time...but I still have a few sites that I visit that just aren't set up for FF yet, so I use IE8 for them and really have no issues at all. My machine is less capable than yours and runs just fine.