Laptop cooling fan stand

Old 08-20-10, 07:32 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laptop cooling fan stand

Laptop owner for the first time.

Maybe I am just noticing this because I now own a laptop, but I see laptop cooling fans on sale everywhere.

Are these worth the investment?

Can anyone recommend a model with "cool" features?

Old 08-20-10, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
They all basically do the same thing. Run cool air under the machine to keep it from over heating. Usually they run off of USB power but you can find ones that have a wall adapter too. But with the newer model laptops you may find that you don't really need the cooler. I myself seriously wouldn't buy one until you find out if your laptop over heats. Just my .02

Old 08-21-10, 04:14 AM
R
You'll find that "laptop" is misnomer: Your lap will get uncomfortably hot if the machine sits there for any length of time. Don't run it while it's sitting on a sofa, pillow, vinyl, carpet, or other soft texture. It will heat up. Run it only on hard, flat surfaces.

Old 08-24-10, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rick, funny you mention that. I haven't checked in some time, but I knew Dell at one point in the last few years started calling laptops "desktop replacements" because people typically cannot place them on their laps anymore, because of the heat.

Old 08-25-10, 03:42 AM
R
I noticed that just last week when I was redoing my stepson's laptop. I had it sitting on a leather ottoman and smelled something burning. Fortunately it didn't damage the leather, but it did hang the processor until I pulled the battery and allowed it to cool.

The battery doesn't hold a charge anymore, so whenever it's running on AC power it pullls a whole lot of current attempting to run the box and charge the batt. Even the power supply gets hot to the touch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: