Only one speaker when plugged in back

Old 08-25-10, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Only one speaker when plugged in back

Ok a earphone plug broke off in the front earphone jack and cannot get it out. I plugged a different set into the back and only got one earphone working( i know they both work). I cannot get both to work. Computer is a Compaq presario model sr1738nx.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-10, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
My bet is that the broken plug is shorting one channel.

Old 08-28-10, 02:04 PM
Well heres what I did. I cut the cable going to the front earphone jack but then I had no sound out the rear. So I cut open the jacket and found 4 wires inside. Red Green Black White. I spliced green to white and got the left channel working. Splicing red and black got the right channel working. So both channels work but I don't have the bass I did with the front.

Old 08-28-10, 09:32 PM
OK he is telling to fix the out of phase problem to connect green to white and white to green. How? I ONLY HAVE ONE GREEN AND ONE WHITE WIRE. He's out of the town now till the 5th.

Old 08-28-10, 10:08 PM
Two wires go to each speaker. One of those sets of wires is backwards.

He's telling you to reverse the wiring on one speaker. If you had green to green and white to white, take it apart. Connect the green wire from the amp to the white speaker wire. Connect the white wire from the amp to the green speaker wire.

If it sounds better, you're done. If not, post back.

Old 08-28-10, 10:38 PM
that's just it. These wires are INSIDE the computer and plug into the motherboard. I have green to white and red to black. What else is there? I have headphones plugged into the real audio jack. I don't have any other wires to connect too. The wires were inside a gray outer plastic jacket surrounded by aluminum strands of wire and tape. The four(4) wires are green, white ,black, red. i don't have another green or white wire so now what Get another sound card? Want pictures of what i did?

Old 08-31-10, 12:20 PM
so are you now plugged into the rear audio jack on the backside of the computer? and the problem you have is with no bass from that jack?

Old 09-06-10, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bocmac View Post
so are you now plugged into the rear audio jack on the backside of the computer? and the problem you have is with no bass from that jack?
correct. I got both speakers working but i don't have the bass I did with the front. In the cable I cut from the front jack there were only 4 wires. 1 red 1 black 1 green 1 white.

Old 09-14-10, 04:48 PM
have you tried adjusting bass level for the rear output in the audio properties?