Strange boot problem

Old 08-27-10, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Strange boot problem

IBM T43 laptop running Windows XP SP3 - company-owned machine, been in my possession for about 2 1/2 years

Does not boot up at home but will in the office - at home, the process stops when the desktop appears, the icons and taskbar never show up. After a few seconds, the harddrive stops spinning like the machine thinks the process is done.

I disabled the wireless connection and set the startup to diagnostic mode and it worked. Left the wireless disabled and switched back to normal startup, again worked fine. Enabled the wireless again and the boot failed, so it looks like the wireless connection is involved. Same ISP, modem and router for more than a year, no changes I am aware of.

Anything seen anything like this before? The IT department here is stumped....

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-10, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
It for sure sounds like the wireless is the issue but not necessarily the wireless it self but the adapter on your laptop.

Try keeping the wireless disabled on your system and connect to the router with a cable. Can you get on the net that way?

Enable the wireless on your system after if fully boots and try to connect then.

Update your wireless adapters drivers.

Old 08-27-10, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Connecting isn't a problem, I get online right away once I enable the connection, it's the boot up that doesn't work

I'll see what I can do about updating the drivers

Old 08-27-10, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Right, but what I feel is the adapter is causing the lockup. I was wondering if it works correctly if you get the system booted.

Old 08-27-10, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mitch have you installed any other periphery like a printer lately? I had the same scenario when I loaded the software for my new Lexmark wireless printer (x7675). It would boot fine until it came time for the router. then the entire machine would become unresponsive. Delete the printer, all was fine.