Home PC activity monitoring

Old 08-31-10, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home PC activity monitoring

I'm using some trial software that a friend recommended and am getting ready to purchase it. My kids are getting older and spending alot of time on the the PC - online most of it. We have rules and we talk about what they are getting into, but the web is a wide open space with no limits, and they are getting curiious, pretty bold...

So I'm using this software called Family Cyber Alert - it logs all that they are doing on the PC. It seems pretty easy to use, pretty straight-forward, and at first use seems to give me a better handle on what they are getting into, "where" they are going, etc., so maybe I can better steer them away from trouble.

My question is whether anyone else is familiar with this software (or this type software) and has any experience to share or feedback to offer. For example, logging everything the way it does, does that create any greater risk for someone hacking my personal information somehow?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-10, 04:06 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Monitoring software IMO is better than software that will limit their activities. Monitoring is like asking them where they're going and what time they'll be back, then allowing them the freedom to make their own choices. That to me is infinitely better than preventing them from visiting selected sites. Typical kids will do everything they can to see those forbidden sites.

Be prepared, though. Kids find viruses and malware. My brother cloned a second hard drive with a fresh install so he could wipe & reload the system once a month.

Old 09-01-10, 07:04 AM
Thanks Rick. Yeah - while we have ever evolving rules / guidelines rearding their online habits, my primary focus is working towards having them understand what the cautions are and possible ramifications of not using good judgement - online and offline. Them developing good judgement and responsibility, rather than the mentality that they can't do something only because it is blocked or because they will get into trouble from me (that could still happen)