New DOCSIS 2.0 modem required?

Old 09-11-10, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New DOCSIS 2.0 modem required?

OK..our cable company is upgrading...and they are bombarding me with mailings and calls saying my DOCSIS 1.0 Toshiba PCX2200 modem will not work after Sept 22 due to the upgrades. Of course they are willing to sell me a new one..lol.
No firmware updates for my old one that I could find.

In my research it seems like 2.0 and 3.0 are backwards compatible..but I'm wondering if they are saying this because my modem could possibly slow down the entire "node" that I am connected to? Can they actually turn off my connection if I don't upgrade? Not a big deal..only about $50 for a new one from multiple vendors.

Finally...any basic modems out there that incorporate a router as well? I'd be able to eliminate some cables and desk clutter if so.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-10, 12:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basically, yes - they can absolutely turn you off if you don't upgrade. 2.0 is already operational. Once they turn off the 1.0 datastream, your old modem will not work. It's not that your modem would slow anything down. While the 2.0/3.0 modems are backwards compatible with the 1.0 system, the 1.0 system takes up bandwidth as well. What they are doing is trying to free up this bandwidth in order to increase their 2.0 system capacity and speed. Since 1.0 has been obsolete for years,basically it's just a dead elephant on their back. They aren't upgrading now, they upgraded years ago. Their newer customers all have 2.0 modems. They were just accommodating people who didn't want to buy new equipment, and now that grace period is over.

Compare it to the digital TV switch. Analog is slow, snowy and bloated. Digital has high definition, clear picture, and fits 10 channels in the space of one analog.

What cable co do you have that makes you buy the equipment?? Most of them include the modem as part of the service, and if it breaks or needs upgrading, they take care of it. Is there another provider in the area? If so, you can play the 'retentions' game. Tell them that if you have to buy more equipment in order to keep their service, you're canceling and going to company B. Trust me, they do not want to lose a customer over a $70 modem. They'll do something to make it free (bill credit, free premium channels, etc).

Old 09-11-10, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Matt

I'm out in the boonies and they actually ARE just getting around to upgrading...lol. We went from max 3Meg service earlier in the year (what we've had for the prior 3 yrs)..to 10Meg in May or so. Now they are saying as they get closer to being done it could go up to around 30 Meg. I don't HAVE to buy theirs, but I'd rather buy my own for $50-$60 than lease theirs for $5 a month. Did the same thing back in VA (with the same modem I think?) back around '99-'00 when we finally got cable Internet service in our area. Spent about $80-$100 on it as I remember...I'd say its a better investment than $60 a year.

My house is all wired for PC's and the BlueRay player...so don't want their wireless option of $125 purchase or $10 a month lease. My router is wireless (disabled) so if we ever need it, I can turn it on.

No other providers here...it's either cable company or telephone company for internet. Or those 2 plus DISH and Direct TV for TV. I have the el-cheapo landline phone service (basically just incoming and pay per call for LD) and cable handles the rest.

Old 09-11-10, 01:27 PM
Gotcha. Neither of the cable companies I've used charged a lease fee either.. The modem was free (but they own it, therefore are responsible for repairs/upgrades). Now I have FTTP which uses my router as the 'modem' (the actual fiber optic modem is on the side of the house in the NID).

If the phone co offers comparable service, you can still play ball.. Tell them you're going to get phone co and dish.. I used to do that whenever my Triple Play promo was due to expire.. I still play the game with my FTTP provider too.. I get free months of premium, bill credits, etc.. Just gotta keep up on what the competition is offering..

Old 09-13-10, 10:17 AM
I've had a Docsis 2.0 modem for at least 4-5 years now. The cable company does not own the cable modems like they do their TV boxes, so whenever our modem goes south, we have to pay for a new one...usually about $60-70 I believe.

Our cable company (Cox) has a monopoly on the cable tv market here in Oklahoma. no other options unless you want to go to crappy satellite.