Windows CE 6.0

Old 09-11-10, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows CE 6.0

My wife bought the netbook from CVS to read ebooks. It is a Sylvania SYNET07526 It says it has Windows CE 6.0 professional installed. I tried for 4 hours to get an ebook to download and read. It downloads the ebook but when I try to open it it states (that) is not a valid Windows CE application. (that) being whatever the name is for what I downloaded. I tried every form of download they had at the ebook place. Both zipped and full versions. I even went to a site and downloaded a .cab version of reader but it said the same thing.
How in the world do I get this thing to read ebooks??? I tried putting the books in "my documents", Flash drive, and even my programs but to no avail. I always get the same error message.
Anyone a good steady hand with Windows CE???

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-10, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you activated your copy of Windows CE?

Old 09-12-10, 09:18 PM
Ray as far as I know there was no activation to be done. It never asked me to activate it.
I did find out there was an Office 2003 installed. So I was able to download the books in Rich Fine Text and then the Office could read them. But that set-up has no way of setting bookmarks that we could find. So for now she has to remember what page she quit reading at and enter it when she returns to the book.
That is workable for now. Would be nice to have the features of the reader such as bookmarks and such.
I get the feeling someone else bought this netbook and brought it back...maybe that is why it did not ask for activation.
The wireless says it has excellent signal and is connected but then it does not find the web pages we type in or the homepage.
It has an ethernet plug so for now we direct wire it to download.
I do know this CE is a lot different than xp or even 98. A real learning curve with no directions to be found. All I could find searching Google was how to write codes to add applications I have never heard of. Sounded mostly like for someone building their own netbook with the CE operating system.

Old 09-12-10, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 10-11-10, 12:26 AM
PDF Reader do NOT work in Windows CE.

And since the $99 CVS Sylvania "Netbook" does NOT have a actual x86 based processor.. many of the features you're used to using on a Windows PC will NOT work on this chopped down Windows CE.

Keep in mind folks.. Windows CE is OLD SCHOOL.. meaning that WinCE is about 10 years old. Not many drivers were created for it after Windows XP was released. MOST "Web Appliances" like cell phone use "Windows Mobile" now. Windows CE is very rarely installed in any appliances any more.

In closing.. you'd be better off saving up another hundred dollars... return the CVS netbook and get your money back... then go to target and get a $200 Atom processor netbook running Windows 7 Started Edition. Windows 7 Starter Edition may be a chopped down version of Windows 7.. but everything works as it should.. and it a $200 PC with and actual x86 based processor.

Old 11-27-10, 08:15 AM
Sylvania Netbook SYNET087526, reading pdf files

While this product will read some pdf files, the very limited documentation that comes with it says it can't handle really large files.

I have installed a 8GB SD chip on it. What I haven't done is tried to copy a really large pdf file onto the netbook and then try to read it.

Tom

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-27-10 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Removed link and a comment