Dell Vostro 200 Memory upgrade suggestion?

Old 09-15-10, 07:20 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Dell Vostro 200 Memory upgrade suggestion?

Several months ago, crazycory22 et al. were kind enough to help me with a similar issue for my dad's computer; now, after 4 years of trouble-free operation (hardware-wise) I think I'll take the cover off of my Dell & blow the dust out. That would be my opportunity to add some RAM, which would, I have been led to believe here & elsewhere, be the most cost-effective way to upgrade performance.

The specs:
Dell Vostro 200, XP Home Ed., SP3
Total Memory: 1013 MB, Avail Mem: 585MB,
Total avail. virtual Mem: 1995MB, avail. page file size: 1287MB.
Processor: Pentium II
Phys. Mem. Dev's: DIMM 1= Speed 667, DIMM 3= Speed 667.

Simply add a GIG of mem. in any exp. slot, or replace existing with a matched pair? suggestions? Oh, & I won't be going back to Best Buy to purchase it, too expensive!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-10, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prob $40 or less will get you 2G more for a total of 3....more than enough for most tasks with that PC.

Computer memory upgrades for Dell Vostro 200 Slim Tower Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

That page is for the slim tower...there is also a mini tower that may be different.

I have to say though...if the info you posted was when your typical usage programs were open and running...unlikely you will see much benefit. You have over 1/2 your installed memory still available.

It's a 4 y/o machine (not that that is a problem if it still works and does what you need)...I'd take the $40 and put it in a jar for a new machine when needed.

Old 09-16-10, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Gunguy about the memory not making too much of a difference. But if you want to upgrade memory, I can also point you in the direction of a site that you can look for cheaper memory. I don't know if I'm allowed top post it or not, but I'm going to and if the mods want they can take it out of my post. It's Pricewatch - Price Comparison and Sales sorted by the lowest price - Shop Computer Hardware, Electronics, Clothing and a lot more Find lots of inexpensive/cheap computer parts on there. I do not know why I didn't think of it back when you asked about your dads computer.

Old 09-17-10, 01:06 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thanks, gentlemen. Maybe I ought to stick with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....