Hp printer won't print

Old 09-14-10, 10:26 PM
Hp printer won't print

Sorry.....I will repost after I try a couple more things....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-10, 12:34 PM
HP printer won't print?

Check your ink cartridges out to see if they are empty.
Reload software for your printer.
Check to make sure your serial cable (DB-9 or USB) is connected securely.
Check power cable plugged in?
If none of these things work, don't bother to repair it, just buy a new one on sale. Lexmark may look ugly, but their ink cartridges are cheaper than others. Cheaper to buy, than repair one.

Old 09-18-10, 12:26 AM
HP printer won't print

I have an HP Deskjet F4280 All-in-One Printer that won't print. The black ink cartridge is very low on ink, but the colour ink cartridge has lots of ink in it.

The printer won't print at all.......in black, or in colour.

When I go to the Control Panel, it says the printer is ready, and online, and the print queue is empty.

When I attempt to print something in black, the printer display just stays on "0" and the printer doesn't respond, and the the page I want to print is then added to the print queue.

When I attempt to print in colour, same thing.....no response.

I don't want to waste my money on buying a black ink cartridge if that isn't going to solve my problem. I'd rather spend the money on a different brand printer.

But if buying a black cartridge will solve my problem, then I'll buy one.

Also, when I try and print a testpage, a prompt say a test page has been sent to the printer, but nothing prints.

If I physically press the 'black' button or 'colour' button on the printer itself, the printer does respond, but what happens is that it prints a blank page.

Everything is plugged in correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-10, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Try reinstalling the printer drivers. Do you remember where your disk is? If not you can go to the HP website and download the drivers.

Old 09-18-10, 11:01 AM
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I can't find the disk that originally came with the printer.

I went to HP's site, clicked on Windows Vista as the OS, and downloaded new printer drivers.

The prompt says successfully downloaded.

However, when I try to print, things still just go to the print queue and sit there.

I cleared the print queue and tried again, to no avail.

Any other advice? I really don't want to replace the black ink cartridge unless I know for sure the printer will then work with a new cartridge (since the cartridges are almost as much as the darn all-in-one printers these days). As I mentioned before, I do have a full colour cartridge and an empty black cartridge in the printer, but the printer won't click in colour either. I have tried printing with the black cartridge removed and just the colour one in, and that doesn't work either.

p.s. Don't know if this matters or not.......but i just manually pushed the colour button on the printer itself to try and get it to print, and yes, it is now sounding like it's printing. However, after about three minutes of apparently printing, the page comes out completely blank.

Man printers can be so frustrating.

Old 09-18-10, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
The prompt says successfully downloaded
Did you double click on that file you downloaded to install the drivers?

Old 09-18-10, 02:46 PM
yes......and when I go back to the "add printer" box, it says "windows detected that a driver has already been installed for this printer".

So I just went back to square one again, and downloaded the driver, and the HP box appears the says "Connect Your Device Now", and make sure the device is powered on, and connect the USB cable...... So I do that, and below, to the right, are three boxes that say Back, Next and Cancel. However, none of them light up.

To the far left is a box that says Help, which I then click on.

What appears it the following information...

1. Confirm that the device is connected to your computer and the power is on. Click the "<Back" button to try again.

2. If device setup fails to complete, some hidden setup commands may not be finished. Click the "<Back" button then wait a few minutes for device setup to finish.

3. If the problem is not resolved, see the Troubleshooting section in the Readme file, located on the CD.

However, I cannot do #3, because I do not have the CD.

Any advice?

This is sooooo frustrating.....

Old 09-18-10, 03:01 PM
How old are your cartridges? I had a Lexmark 1100 and used it occasionally. One day it decided not to print....black or color. It acted as yours did when you pressed the color button. Even the test sheet came out funky. I replaced the cartridges, but being a cheapo I used refurbished ones. I think that has a lot to do with it. Anyway, charity has my printer now, as I finally bit the bullet and bought a new all in one. You may not be far behind.

Old 09-18-10, 10:49 PM
Actually, I don't remember if the last time I needed ink, if I had the cartridge refilled or if I just bought a new one. Don't remember.....

Anyhow, my dilemna is.......

If I buy a new cartridge, will that actually be the solution and the printer will then work? (Otherwise, I don't want to waste money buying a new cartridge); or

If I buy a new cartridge for the printer, is it possible that the printer will still not work? and that perhaps the issue is something to do with the settings on my computer, or something like that?

Isn't it then possible that I could buy a brand new printer, and have the same issues, and have the new printer not able to print?

I'm just so confused.....

Old 09-19-10, 12:32 AM
HP Printers don't like to print when they are that low on one ink. The HP printer we have here is the same way. It too is an All In One, and if one is out, it won't do either color or black.

Old 09-19-10, 09:34 PM
So....I broke down and bought a new black ink cartridge. The printer immediately printed off a sheet and the top of the sheet says to scan the sheet to align cartridges.

So I press the 'scan' button on the printer, and I can hear that it is actually scanning. However, I can't for the life of me figure out where the scanned sheet is actually located on my computer. Any suggestions? I've looked everywhere.....

Also, I tried to print an email, and it ends up sitting in the print queue. Turns out there is a document in the queue ahead of it. I keep trying to delete that document, and it says it is 'deleting', but never actually ends up deleted. So the email that I want to print just sits there, waiting for the first thing in the print queue that is supposedly 'deleting'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Old 09-19-10, 10:55 PM
I've just come across a program that is a free download called "Driver Boost". Apparently it will automatically fix my problems.

Anyone know if it's safe to download?

p.s. I am using Windows Vista.

Old 09-20-10, 01:25 AM
hmmmm.....How do i know if I have the right printer driver for my printer? (Pls. note I really am not sure what I'm even talking about.)

But when I go to the HP.ca website and click on support and drivers in the top right, then I click on download drivers, and type in F4280, and selection Microsoft Windows Vista, and I click Next, and I scroll down and selection Driver (2), then I click Download, then a screen pops up that says Virus Removed and Mozilla freezes up, and if I click on Details, it says Trojan. Generic.

Wow.......this is frustrating.

Also, if I go to Printers, then to Set Printer Properties, and then to Advanced, at the top it says HP Deskjet F4280 All in One, but about an inch down, it says Driver: HP Officejet 4200 Series.

What do I do?

Also, the ticked off (actually marked with a circle) are:
- Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster, and - Start printing after last page is spooled.

The two sections that aren't ticked off are: Start printing immediately, and Print directly to the printer.

Then in the next section, there are four possible things that can be ticked off. They are:
- Hold mismatched documents
- Print spooled documents first (which is ticked off)
- Keep printed documents
- Enable advanced printing features which is ticked off)

Please note, I have already tried a suggestion that I go to the command prompt and type net spooler stop, and net spooler start (or something like that).

Last edited by Marie12345; 09-20-10 at 01:26 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-20-10, 04:20 AM
Upvotes Received: 3
Printer

After installing new cartridges, the printer prints a calibration sheet. Place the calibration sheet on the scanner bed and press "Scan". The printer calibrates and is then ready for your print jobs.

Old 09-20-10, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
After installing new cartridges, the printer prints a calibration sheet. Place the calibration sheet on the scanner bed and press "Scan". The printer calibrates and is then ready for your print jobs.
Hi. I've done that, but am wondering where to find the scanned document.

Also, how do I get rid of something in the print queue that continues to say "deleting" but never actually finishes deleting. Until I get rid of that, I expect I won't be able to print anything at all.

Old 09-20-10, 05:28 PM
Upvotes Received: 3
Printer Cartridges

As soon as the cartridges are installed, a calibration sheet prints. This sheet is placed on the scan bed. When "scan" is pressed, the calibration document is scanned, but is not printed.

Also, how do I get rid of something in the print queue that continues to say "deleting" but never actually finishes deleting. Until I get rid of that, I expect I won't be able to print anything at all.
Go to "Control Panel"
"Printers and Faxes"
Double click on your printer
A list of documents waiting to print displays
Click on "Printer"
Choose "Cancel All Documents"

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 09-20-10 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-20-10, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
Go to "Control Panel"
"Printers and Faxes"
Double click on your printer
A list of documents waiting to print displays
Click on "Printer"
Choose "Cancel All Documents"
That's my whole problem......It does not cancel all documents. One of them remains in the print queue and for status, it says 'deleting', but never actually deletes.

My guess is that's why I can't print anything that i add to the print queue, because of the document sitting there that is supposedly deleting.

Old 09-21-10, 03:58 AM
Shut your computer down and reboot. The print queue will clear itself.

Old 09-21-10, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Shut your computer down and reboot. The print queue will clear itself.
I shut down my computer every night. It doesn't solve the problem. The document stays in the print queue and says it is 'deleting'.

I read someone online that since I can't find the disk for the HP Deskjet F4280 All in One, that when I try and re-install this printer, that I use the driver for the 990C. So that's what I'm trying now.

Can someone tell me what the settings should be for the part where I set the properties for the printer:
- Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster. (should that be ticked off)
- Start printing after last page is spooled? (should that be ticked off)
- Start printing immediately. (Should that be ticked off)
- Print directly to the printer. (Should that be ticked off)

Thanks again.

p.s. Also, should I tick off "enable printer spooling"?

Old 09-21-10, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Try unplugging your printer (the power), then shut down your computer. My HP went weird once and was doing the same thing as yours. I powered it off, along with my computer, and when I restarted, it was fine again. Maybe it reset itself.
The only thing I don't remember, is if I plugged the printer back in after I was in Windows or before. Try it both ways, won't hurt.

Old 09-22-10, 03:06 PM
Printer Settings - I will try and ask more general questions.

My printer is not working. Could someone pass along what settings they have for their printer in these areas:

Can someone tell me what the settings should be in the section where you set the properties for the printer:

- Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster. (should that be ticked off)
- Start printing after last page is spooled? (should that be ticked off)
- Start printing immediately. (Should that be ticked off)
- Print directly to the printer. (Should that be ticked off)

Also, should I tick off "enable printer spooling"?

Thanks.

p.s. I am using Windows Vista, and it is an HP Deskjet F4280 All in One Printer. Also, if I put a document under the top into the scanner, and then press the "Start Copy" button on the printer, it does print a copy. So the problem lies somewhere in the settings.

Old 09-22-10, 03:10 PM
Printers - Trying to Delete Documents in Print Queue

As per my previous thread, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the problem where something sat in the print queue, and it just continually said "deleting", and, therefore, anything added to the print queue couldn't print.

Any idea how to solve this problem? Turning everything off does not solve the problem. The printer does not reset. The document that is apparently "deleting" sits in the print queue.

Going to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, Printer, Cancel all Documents does not work. The document that is "deleting" stays there.

BTW, if I put a document under the top into the scanner, and then pres the "start Copy" button on the printer, it does print a copy. So the problem lies somewhere in the settings.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

p.s. I am using Windows Vista, and it is an HP Deskjet F4280 All in One Printer.

Old 09-23-10, 04:24 AM
Did you download and install the latest drivers for the printer from the HP website? Install the new driver.

Next, delete the printer. Turn off the computer and printer. Unplug the printer from the computer and AC power. Reboot. Delete the printer. Reboot, then shut down the computer. Re-connect the printer and reboot. Add the printer, making sure to use the new drivers.

Old 09-23-10, 09:07 PM
Ports? Networks? Spooling? This is wayyyy over my head.....

Yes - I went to the HP site and downloaded the drivers, and when I clicked Install, a screen appears that says "A newer version of this software is already installed on your HP Deskjet All in One series computer."......Simply connect the device to your computer and the software will automatically recognize the device.

This is getting so frustrating. So there has to be a setting somewhere on my computer that I need to change...... perhaps something about spooling, or printer ports, or honestly, I have no clue... But there must be a way to get rid of the document in the printer queue that has been in the process of "deleting" for days and days.

When I right-click on the printer, and select Properties, then Ports, the one that is ticked is the first one, which is LPT1 Printer Port, HP Deskjet F4280.......then should I click Add Port? but then it asks if it's a New Port, or New Port Type... I'm not sure what to do here. I know nothing about printer ports, but maybe this is where the problem lies. Also, below it, "Enable Bidirectional Support" is ticked.

I've spent so much time trying to figure this out, that now I'm confusing myself......I know I was at a screen somewhere called Network and Sharing that had little icons showing a computer going to a network going to the internet. Then I click on 'connect to a network' just to see what it was, and it said This computer is connected to a Network. Then below that - Windows cannot find any additional networks. Now I'm really confused. My computer is plugged directly into an internet cord.

Could the problem be something to do with Ports, or networks, or ?

Any advice you can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old 09-24-10, 03:31 AM
Look at Rick's post. Have you done that, yet? Don't worry about configuring ports and all that stuff. The computer will assign most of what it needs when you reboot the second time.

Old 09-24-10, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Checking off these boxes or not, will not make any difference. Your printer issue has nothing to do with your settings.

Old 09-24-10, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Didn't you say your printer is connected to your computer with a USB cable? If it is, then it shouldn't be showing that's it's connected to a LPT1 Printer Port.
Check and see how they're connected.

Old 09-24-10, 02:54 PM
I have an hp aio C6300 series. Here are my settings:

- Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster. (ticked)
- Start printing after last page is spooled? (NOT ticked)
- Start printing immediately. (ticked)
- Print directly to the printer. (NOT ticked)

"Also, should I tick off "enable printer spooling"? "

Mine is not ticked. "Enable bidirectional support" is ticked.

hth

Old 09-24-10, 03:17 PM
That's one reason why I suggested deleting and starting over. That printer uses a USB connection.

Old 09-24-10, 05:20 PM
Marie, this is the third set of questions on the same subject. The answers won't change. We're having a difficult time keeping up with the posts. Can you try to keep the same subject in the same threads?

Old 09-25-10, 12:25 AM
I'm going to agree with what Rick said, as well as a few others. Download drivers from HP, uninstall old drivers, shut down computer, unplug printer from computer, unplug printer from wall, turn computer back on, then re-install everything from there.

Old 10-24-10, 11:19 PM
If I am frustrating you, please pass over this thread. Thanks.

I am still unable to use my printer.

I have it set to USB port. I have uninstalled the driver. When I go to the HP website, I go to the top right and click on Support and Drivers. I then click on Download Drivers and Software, and then type in F4280, and click on Go. I then select Windows Vista and click on next. I then click on Driver (2). I then click on HP Deskjet Basic Drivers, and then on Download. A box then appears saying "You have chosen to open DJ_AIO_03_F4200_NonNet_Basic_Win_enu_110_182_NB.exe which is a Binary File from ftp://ftp.hp.com Would you like to save this file? I then click on Save File.

The screen pales and a box appears (from Shaw, my service provider) that says:

Virus and Spyware Scanning:
Virus removed. The virus was removed. You can continue to use your computer.

I click on details, and it says Trojan.Generic.4613985. Because the hp screen stays pale, I then have to close the screen and a box then appears saying Firefox is not responding. So I then close everything and start all over again, and go through the same scenario every time.

I don't know what to do..... If I knew for certain that buying a new printer would solve my problem, I would throw this one out the window. However - if the problem is somehow with settings on this laptop, then I'm not guaranteed a new printer would even be the answer. So at this point, I'm lost.

Old 10-25-10, 04:07 AM
Does the file actually get saved to your hard drive? If so, find the Firefox downloads folder and run the file by double-clicking on it. Saving the file does not install the driver.

If the file is not on your hard drive, send an email to Shaw and ask them why the file is being prevented from downloading. Include the info you stated in your post above.

Old 10-26-10, 04:52 PM
Lightbulb HP Printer

Hi

I had probs. so I called HP Tec. support. I let them take over my pc and they fixed my prob. they did a good job.

I too have had a print in Q prob. When you del. it will go away after you X out of Q. If you still ask HP Tech.

Don

Old 10-29-10, 09:25 PM
Thumbs up Windows Vista and Seven Printer Problems...

Both my wife's computer which has Vista and my daughter's which has Windows 7 on it both had terrible issues with printing from my Lexmark printer despite having updated drivers. The issue in both cases is that WinXP, like my computer, has a hard registery whereas Win7 and Vista have hard and virtual registries.

The solution that was provided by my local PC tech was to purchase a printer that was made AFTER Win7 was released. In my wife's case she has a brand new Epson 640 Workforce all-in-one. She hasn't had a single problem since!

ChristopherT