compressing c drive vista home

Old 09-18-10, 08:54 PM
compressing c drive vista home

what if any are the disadvantages of "compressing the C drive to save disc space " Os is , vista home premium I'm trying to help a friend out she has a 66gb HD and 9mb free .

we cant figure out whats filling the drive , I was going to use go to my pc to remote in and see what I can find but there isn't even enough space to load that

I borrowed a vista laptop from my daughter in law so I could look at the OS ., when I go to the c drive I see the option to "compress this drive to save disk space "

what if anything is the disadvantage to doing this ?

she is a photographer so I suspect a lot of it is picture files would compressing affect them ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-10, 12:36 AM
It would make the computer some what slower if you compress the drive, plus with only 9MB free I don't think it would allow you to compress the drive. I would have your friend look for a bigger hard drive for the computer. They've come down in price. you can check here Pricewatch - Price Comparison and Sales sorted by the lowest price - Shop Computer Hardware, Electronics, Clothing and a lot more for prices on hard drives.

Old 09-19-10, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
I agree.
One thing you need to consider is that if you mess with someone else's computer you may be sorry you did.

I have thousands of photos and use an old computer as backup storage and keep all the photos on a USB external drive.
For less than a hundred bucks it is a simple solution.

Old 09-19-10, 05:31 AM
thanks but $$$ is a issue here I'm thinking she doesn't need a bigger drive I'm living just fine using a quarter of what shes using

she does have a external drive and if I can get in I can throw a lot over to it

Old 09-19-10, 09:17 AM
well I was able to get in remotely and 3 and a half hours later Ive got 13 gb free

Ill do another remote next week

Old 09-19-10, 11:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is her drive partitioned? Some people get mixed up when they see only a small amount a space left, but they don't know that space on the drive is dedicated just for the restore points.

Old 09-19-10, 12:35 PM
Drive Space

Clean out the temporary files.

Old 09-20-10, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I agree.
One thing you need to consider is that if you mess with someone else's computer you may be sorry you did.

I have thousands of photos and use an old computer as backup storage and keep all the photos on a USB external drive.
For less than a hundred bucks it is a simple solution.
This is part of what I do for a living and I'm not "messing with it " blindly . I'm doing a knowledgeable,professional repair which is why I posted the question here and in a few pro IT forums I hang out at

just as a FYI Ive had several responses at the "pro boards " warning that the USB drives dont seem as robust as internal drive and they are seeing a lot of failures so I suggest you burn them to cds also or throw them up somewhere online

before I deleted the pictures on C I really wanted to burn them to CDs for redundancy but she has little patience for this stuff and had reached her limit Ive got a couple more sessions scheduled while I have the free trial of remote software and getting the pics to media is high on my list

disc cleanup takes care of the basics like temp files and she had been running that

Old 09-20-10, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry if my comments insulted you.
It sounded you were being a good Samaritan which can sometimes backfire.

I am not aware that better quality USB drives are less "robust" than a comparable internal drive.
I am sure you can get a cheap external drive but many external drives are just internal drives in a case.
My reading on the subject leads me to believe external drives have a higher failure rate than internal because of their portable nature.

When you suggested your friend was a photographer I assumed she would have been storing images in RAW as well as JPEG.
These files are huge and not really practical for most folks to store on cd or dvd.

Old 09-20-10, 11:10 AM
I probably overacted a bit .........before I make any cahnge to any PC I make sure I know exactly what I m doing

Like I say I hang out at a lot of "pro " IT forums (I even moderate a few ) and the USB comment was from someone who opinion I respect he says they are getting a lot of calls about failed USB drives

It still goes back to redundancy on crucial data