printer ink

Old 09-20-10, 11:53 AM
printer ink

I use to have a cannon printer, the kids and the wife were trying to put me in the pore house with all the ink they were using. I bought a pint bottle of each color, and started filling my own. My question is the cannon finally gave up working. Can I use the ink that is suppose to be for a cannon, in a Lexmark. Or does each printer really have it own ink.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-10, 01:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You will find that the cartridges are only good for a couple of refills. After that something causes them to degrade. If you bought a new set of cartridges and cleaned the printer really well, it would probably come back to life. Ink is ink. Just don't try to refill them too many times. Sort of give the printer a breather with a new cartridge now and again.

Old 09-20-10, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
Last printer that I bought that used ink was an Epson all-in-one. The cost of ink exceeded the cost of the printer in less then three months. Bought a black and white laser printer a year ago for the same price as the Epison and the starter cartridge is still going strong. I don't think I'd ever go back to an ink jet printer.

Old 09-20-10, 02:59 PM
Ink jet printers do definitely eat ink. Several times, I went to buy ink and found it was better to buy a new printer and get two cartridges with it and toss the old, because the paper feed and rollers age.

I always have several printers at home (wife's laptop and my desktop) and try to stay in the same "family" to be able to swap cartridges. My desktop unit is a printer, copier and great scanner (Canon). Since it gets a great deal of use, I am considering a laser bw/color printer/copier since I have saved a few other old units I could use for scanning. I have two other specialized scanners (movable plate scanner for stitching big scans together and a dedicated 35mm, Advantix scanner for rolls or cartridges).

I tried refilling, but did not like the warning since some systems do not do the necessary resetting the cartridge to full and eliminate the low warnings.

In many cases, cheap printers are a valuable throw-away item if you travel. During work after Katrina, I bought many cheap ink jet printers that worked well and I was able to sell them to another employee instead of having to pay excess baggage and just bought another where I ended up. Cheap ink jet printers are not all bad, but can be valuable is the right situation.

Dick

Old 09-20-10, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Last printer that I bought that used ink was an Epson all-in-one. The cost of ink exceeded the cost of the printer in less then three months. Bought a black and white laser printer a year ago for the same price as the Epison and the starter cartridge is still going strong. I don't think I'd ever go back to an ink jet printer.
Ray, yes the laser printer is nice, but I already have one of those setting the closet. Toner is to bad, and does last awhile. After a few toner replacement, now some drum needs to be replace, for around $75.00. So it is in the closet with the other out date stuff. I got a DMP printer if I could still buy ribbons for I would use.

Old 09-20-10, 11:34 PM
Edward in answer to your original question: Yes, the color ink left over from the Canon should work with most other brand printers, as long as they use the same color set. E.g. if it is a 3 color Canon (CMY) then the ink will work in a 3 color Lexmark. But if you bought inks for a 6 color Canon then you can't use the inks for a 3-color Lexmark, and so on.

Black is a little trickier, cometimes you need to buy the black ink(s) specific for the each inkjet printer, and I am less sure about this.

Old 09-21-10, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by sbarr11 View Post
Edward in answer to your original question: Yes, the color ink left over from the Canon should work with most other brand printers, as long as they use the same color set. E.g. if it is a 3 color Canon (CMY) then the ink will work in a 3 color Lexmark. But if you bought inks for a 6 color Canon then you can't use the inks for a 3-color Lexmark, and so on.

Black is a little trickier, cometimes you need to buy the black ink(s) specific for the each inkjet printer, and I am less sure about this.
sbarr11, thanks for your input, that is kind of what I though, but I didn't want to put the ink in, and brake the printer.