choosing what to restore from backup file

Old 10-06-10, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
choosing what to restore from backup file

Recently wiped PC and reinstalled operating system to factory default. Have installed all windows updates and I am now ready to restore files from the backup.

I don't want to restore everything. Just selected files, user settings, profiles, and favorites.

I can see the folders to choose from on the external drive where the folders are located but I don't know where the setting,profiles & favorites are stored to restore them. How do I do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-10, 07:13 AM
One of the primary items I want to restore are the itunes libraries.

Old 10-07-10, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
A lot of these are stored in your user profile, iTunes gets stored in the My Music folder in My Documents

Old 10-08-10, 07:24 AM
Running XP pro.

I decided to go ahead and restore everything using the XP Pro back up & restore wizard program. Now I am getting "ordinal 685 not found in dll" error message and the pc is stuck at phase right after login.

Researched this and found nothing useful, except that I can copy the dll file from a good version of XP. I installed XP home on a new partition and I am hoping I can use windows explorer to copy the dill file from the XP home partition to the XP pro partition.

The end goal of this is to get my previous XP pro operating so I can clone it with Acronis Home and install everyting on a new hard drive

How do I copy dll files?

Old 10-09-10, 08:12 AM
dll files

if you can find a good copy of the dll file
down load it and then copy it to the windows/system32

folder

sometime you can find them on the net and download from there

Quick dirty fix, found the latest version of IE8 and as the installer ran, go into the temp folder it creates and copy/pasted iertutil.dll into the system32 folder

Old 10-09-10, 02:24 PM
Any good backup program will give you a choice when restoring files; among the choices will be "restore to the original folder"

Old 10-10-10, 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by Stumped1 View Post
How do I copy dll files?
You can copy & paste just like you would any other file. Find the file, right click, select "Copy". Navigate to the folder where you wany to put it, right click, select "Paste".

Old 10-10-10, 06:39 AM
It is also important to paste the .DLL files to the directory they belong otherwise they will not do any good.

Not all .DLL files belong to the ..../System32 directory. Some belong to various programs and reside where a particular program is located

Old 10-11-10, 11:29 AM
I attempted to copy and past the .dll file but this failed. Decided to go ahead and reformat and reinstall Windows XP SP2 from the original disk.

The problem I keep running into is bad windows updates that cripple my PC.

So before I start downloading bad updates again, is there a website that lists all the bad windows updates so I can avoid downloading them?