On-board video down

Old 10-12-10, 07:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
On-board video down

Dell Dimension 4700
Win XP Home

When I power up this computer, I get diagnostic beeps: one long and three short, followed by two short. A web search says this means the video card is not responding.

On this Dell the video is on the motherboard. Are there dip switches that will allow me to disable the on-board video and put a separate video card in?

Thanks
Dave O

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-10, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No dip switches. You can disable the on-board video in the BIOS settings. Then you may or may not have to enable the video card slot.

Old 10-12-10, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
May not need to do anything....buy a video card compatible with an open slot..then plug it in and start it up.

You can disable the onboard in Device management if not in BIOS.

Old 10-13-10, 08:18 AM
Thanks, BadEyeBen and Vic

I'm sure the phrase "dip switches" dates me back to the era of phrases such as "WYSIWYG" and "IBM compatible" and "QDOS". I was almost hoping for dip switches, though, because the screen is totally black: I can't see the BIOS prompts or anything else at boot up. I'll try a separate video card to see if the machine will recognize it.

Thanks,
Dave O

Old 10-13-10, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmm Looking at the manual..they don't identify long and short beeps...just beeps. What you described falls under memory failure...though I don't think that would give you a blank screen.

Old 10-13-10, 02:35 PM
Well maybe if the memory card is loose in the socket then the operating system could possibly not fully load so the screen would never come on. If the power stays on though you can rule that out.
Yea, I would get a video card and install it, then start the thing up and see what happens. You can check the memory stick while you are in there and blow out the dust from the case.

Old 10-15-10, 06:54 AM
I cracked the case, then removed and reseated the memory modules. That did the trick- the PC is functioning normally now. I thought the diagnostic beeps were universal, instead of specific to this machine: my takeaway from this exercise is "RTFM" and make sure I'm getting the right info.

Thanks again to you both!