Floppy Disc.

Old 10-14-10, 11:56 AM
Angry Floppy Disc.

Hi everyone

Does anyone know what might be the problem when I install four different floppy disc in the 3 1/2" disc drive (two diff. PC) and get the following message. NO ID ADDRESS MARK WAS FOUND. It also will not let me reformat the same disc. HELP

Don

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-10, 02:23 PM
I googled your problem and most suggested you try a full format not a quick format. If that is not possible the suggestions were to update the drivers for the floppy drive.
That failing they suggest getting a new floppy and trying it to verify the drive is working. But since you say it happens on 2 different pc I think we can rule that out.
From what I gather if they other 2 ideas do not work then most likely the floppy is bad. Hope I helped some anyways.

Old 10-15-10, 08:32 AM
Hi Bad
I tried a floppy that has never been used,even tried to format it. NO WORKIE on both PC.

Don

Old 10-15-10, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Discs can go bad, floppy or any other media, at any time, even if they've never been used. It's probably been sitting around a long while. Just toss them, because there's no fixing them.

Old 10-15-10, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
What's a floppy disc?

They're pretty cheap - if I ever had one give me any kind of trouble, I just pitched it, not worth the risk of a failure

Old 10-15-10, 10:48 AM
Along the same line, I found a bunch (200 - 400) of 3 1/2" floppies that had files on them.

I want to read the contents and export/save elsewhere before I toss them.

I tossed my last laptop with a 3 1/2" drive about 5 years ago even though I could operate it with XP. Now I have nothing to read them with. I seem to have 2 choices:

1. Buy a 3 1/2"external drive(new) from EBay and hook up to my desktop of lap top - or

2. Find a service that will read and dump the contents on to a card or other media.

Any thoughts?

Thanx - Dick

Old 10-15-10, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
If you want to hook up a floppy drive inside your PC, they're really cheap

I've never looked into externals, can't imagine they cost much

Old 10-15-10, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
On another note, they probably contain nothing you need or want anymore. May not be worth the money or time it takes to go thru them.

Old 10-15-10, 01:26 PM
There definitely is something worthwhile in there after my years of using them as back-ups on all my international work.

After thinking about the value, I think I will go the route of buying a new external 3 1/2" reader using a USB connection and save what I see is good. I can go at my own rate and sort/save as I go and not have to go through it again since I may find the other half of the floppies. Since I have about 500 GB internal storage and 1 TB external hard drive stored remotely, I will now be able to securely keep my information - finally.

Thanx - Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 10-15-10 at 01:45 PM.