Unable to delete history or cookies ands windows-delayed write fail

Old 10-23-10, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unable to delete history or cookies ands windows-delayed write fail

Ok I cannot delete history or cookies or even get into internet options via tools in internet explorer. I click on tools then internet options and the laptop hangs. Then after a minute or so I get
this action has been canceled due to restrictions on the computer. please contact the system administrator.
Laptop is a dell D610. I just added a 1GB stick of corsair memory. could that be causing problems. Total ram is 1.5 Gigs. I also got a popup in the corner that said
Windows-delayed write fail
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c:/program files/logitech/desktop messenger/8876480/users/user/data/l0000005.fcs the file has been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network please tr
and the rest is cut off. any ideas what the problem is. I tested it with the ram for a shot time and all seamed fine but now its not.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-10, 05:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You most likely have to match the memory stick capacity one for one. Adding a larger stick than is already there won't work in most cases. You say you have 1.5 Gb, which indicates you have a 1Gb stick and a smaller one. You have to match them (install them in matched pairs) and make sure the memory is compatible with the computer.

Old 10-23-10, 08:14 PM
So could I take out the 512 that was installed from the factory and leave in the 1GB. This is the 1GB I installed. Amazon.com: Corsair Memory VS1GSDS800D2 1 GB PC2-6400 800Mhz 200-pin DDR2 Laptop Memory Kit: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more. Also right now the laptop won't load. It loads Bios then i get the windows loading screen where it says windows XP with that moving bar at the bottom but won't go past that.

Old 10-24-10, 10:18 AM
Yes, if the 1Gb memory is made for your computer. Let us know what happens.

Old 10-24-10, 02:18 PM
The 1GB is a PC2-6400 800Mhz 200-pin DDR2 And did not help. I even removed it and put the 512 back in. The laptop has the blue screen of death and then restarts on its own. It won't load windows. Once past the loading screen the screen goes black and then I get the blue screen of death but it only appears for a couple seconds then the laptop shuts down and restarts. Any ideas.

Old 10-24-10, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Was it working before the attempted upgrade? If so...remove new memory..firmly insert old memory in original location after checking carefully for damage to the memory connectors.

Old 10-24-10, 05:48 PM
Yes it was working before the Upgrade. I removed the new memory and installed Just the old ram Still no difference so right now I got the 1GB installed. could it be another problem and it just happened to happen after the ram install. I read on Wikipedia that on this model laptop the motherboard had a habit of developing microscopic cracks.

Quote from Wikipedia
A number of Dell Latitude D610 units will develop microscopic fractures of the motherboard. Symptoms of this problem may include inability to turn on the computer, unexpected shut down within 30 seconds of being turned on, or visible screen artifacts while in operation. This problem also frequently contributes to the blue screen of death (BSOD) in Windows. While Dell does not have a clear solution to this problem, it can often be addressed by repeatedly bending the computer enclosure, known as the Montcalm Method (alternately, the CALIBRE method). This method of resolution has been independently verified.

Old 10-24-10, 06:31 PM
Check the hard drive

First, double check the memory, per the Dell website, install the largest stick in DIMM A before filling DIMM B. Quote: "NOTICE: If you need to install memory modules in two connectors, install a memory module in the connector labeled "DIMMA" before you install a module in the connector labeled "DIMMB." Insert memory modules at a 45-degree angle to avoid damaging the connector."

Your manual is here: Documentation

Next, check/test the hard disk. Also, how much free space do you have on the C:? Windows really doesn't like it if you go below 10% free space.

Have you seen any other error messages, such as a SMART warning? Or any other messages about the hard disk? This would have been when first turning it on. I've had two computers that did this. Within three weeks to a month, the drives failed in both. When checking the event log, I would see "delayed write fail", and "drive not responding." Rebooting the computers would make the error go away for a little while, but would return within a couple of days.

You can try pressing "F8" while turning on the computer. This will bring up a menu. Try getting into safe mode. You may also see an option to keep Windows from restarting upon error, select that too.

I hope this helped.

Old 10-24-10, 07:26 PM
The clock speed may be too fast for your computer. Where did you get the information that led you to pick out this particular piece of memory? From memory.com - Computer RAM Memory Upgrade, Flash Memory Cards, Computer Hardware and Electronics I get the following: Standard Memory: 256MB (Removable) Maximum Memory: 2GB Expansion Slots/Banks: 2 Sockets Comments/Notes: This system is configurable and can ship with either DDR2-400 or DDR2-533. These are compatible, however when mixed they default to DDR2-400.

Per Dell, systems configured with the Celeron processor will only run DDR2-533 memory at 400MHz.

Old 10-24-10, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Desy2820 View Post
First, double check the memory, per the Dell website, install the largest stick in DIMM A before filling DIMM B. Quote: "NOTICE: If you need to install memory modules in two connectors, install a memory module in the connector labeled "DIMMA" before you install a module in the connector labeled "DIMMB." Insert memory modules at a 45-degree angle to avoid damaging the connector."

Your manual is here: Documentation

Next, check/test the hard disk. Also, how much free space do you have on the C:? Windows really doesn't like it if you go below 10% free space.

Have you seen any other error messages, such as a SMART warning? Or any other messages about the hard disk? This would have been when first turning it on. I've had two computers that did this. Within three weeks to a month, the drives failed in both. When checking the event log, I would see "delayed write fail", and "drive not responding." Rebooting the computers would make the error go away for a little while, but would return within a couple of days.

You can try pressing "F8" while turning on the computer. This will bring up a menu. Try getting into safe mode. You may also see an option to keep Windows from restarting upon error, select that too.

I hope this helped.
Windows will not load into safe mode. I still get the forever loading then a black screen then I get the BSOD.Its more then 10% though. the only warning I had before the laptop fried was

Windows-delayed write fail
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file c:/program files/logitech/desktop messenger/8876480/users/user/data/l0000005.fcs the file has been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network please tr
In one of those little yellow balloons that pop up on the taskbar in the lower right hand corner of the screen. it didn't display the full message. I get no other error messages except the blue screen which only shows up for a couple seconds then the laptop shuts down and restarts. I have removed the 1GB and installed the 512 back into DIMMA still nothing. The memory said ddr-2 6400 so it looked compatible. I was going by this ram HERE It said it was by dell so I found one that was a decent price and matched those specs. Memory is expensive.

Old 10-26-10, 08:30 PM
Is the problem fixable or not? How do I fix it.

Old 10-27-10, 04:25 AM
Are you using a logitech mouse? If so, disconnect it. Seems the error is related to that. Also, take that 1Gb memory out and install the original memory. Install it in slot 1 or A. Let it start a few times and see if it improves or allows you to go to safe mode. I know you tried, but you keep going back to that memory that may or may not be for your computer. Let us know.

Old 11-18-10, 11:38 PM
Start Ruling Stuff Out.

I'd say with a strange problem like this, you need to run some tests to determine exactly what's going on.

First, get on another computer that works, and download and make an Ultimate Boot CD. This will allow you to boot from the CD and use the tools on it to find out what's happening with your computer: Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Once, you make the CD, put it in your malfunctioning laptop and boot from it (either press F12 during boot or set your BIOS to boot from the CD).

Now you'll be able to run all kinds of tests to find out if your issues are hardware or software related.

I recommend running a memory test first, to see if you're having a RAM problem.

If that's ruled out, then move on to the hard drive diagnostics.

PS....If you're not comfortable doing this, don't! The Ultimate Boot CD contains tools that can really mess things up. Research the tools you want to use on their website before you use them!