Wireles router advice for home network

Old 10-21-10, 06:21 AM
D
doc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wireles router advice for home network

We're getting fiber to our house in a couple of months and want to set up a wireless network in the house. This is what we want to connect to the outside world:

directv DVR
desktop and laptop computers
PS3

there may be one or two more things (e.g. printer or our TV) but that's it for now. The house isn't that large so distance from router to devices won't be long.

We basically plan on doing the regular things with the computers and stream movies via the PS3 and DVR.

My son-in-law is recommending an n rather than a g router; I guess n is faster, but do I really need that speed (I forgot to mention the fiber speed will be 10 Mbps).

Can someone recommend a good wireless router - not too expensive, but fast, dependable, and easy to set up?

Any help would be great!

Old 10-21-10, 11:10 AM
T
For streaming video you will need an N router. B would do it if the video is compressed enough (not fast enough for the basic files saved by my DVR), but since everything is scaling up these days you'd have to upgrade pretty soon anyway.

Old 10-23-10, 08:49 AM
M
need for speed

I am currently fiber ( FIOS ) in data only ( 15/5 ), I used to be 20 / 20, I would think the provider will give you a wifi router / modem, and that's usually N rated now a days ( mine is ). I never had a problem streaming direct from net flix in hi def ( 720 ) to my lap top, though i do not stream from any other source except my WD Live TV through my router to my lap top. I would say get n based cards for any device you have in your network ( computer, laptop, streaming device ).

are you planning to set the fiber router as just a modem by setting it to bridge mode and letting your router handle the NAT duties ( routing ) instead? This has been done with FIOS and there is some work arounds needed to keep the VOD / data for the dvr to work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: