reinstall

Old 10-23-10, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
reinstall

have a gateway lx6810 running vista. son changed admin password ,tried pw crackers with no luck.now need to reinstall. my question is i have two different cd s, one is a single disk (system disk) the other is a two disk set(recovery disk ).never did anything like this and dont have a clue as to which one to use . dont want to ruin computer. any and all help is needed for this reinstall with directions, have secound pc to use if needed for instructions . thanks k

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-10, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Not sure on Gateway, although I have one with the disk set, too, but my main concern would be losing all the data on the machine. If that is not a problem, you can use the recovery disks to try and recover the OS. How difficult would it be to ask what the password is?

Old 10-23-10, 06:09 AM
nothing inway of important data ,simple surfing and wow so no problem there . as for password he put in a foreign pw and now forgets it.so i should use recovery disk insted of system disk.

Old 10-23-10, 08:35 AM
pass word resets are common

the recovery disk will wipe the drive clean and re install all the apps as if a brand new computer, the system disk ( the windows vista disk? ) would be the OS, and would reinstall windows vista, but it will make new users folder and not touch the old users folder, and it will also keep the old password.

the utilities that do work for resetting the admin password all work of a small cd image that you download, burn to cd and then reboot to cd, and follow instructions to reset or blank the admin password

you can download the Trinity Resue Kit cd. Burn iso image to cd and boot from it. It has an option to reset password.