Clean disk - now I want a copy.

Old 10-24-10, 12:59 PM
Red face Clean disk - now I want a copy.

I got my son's hard drive restored and everything updated but I think the hard drive isn't going to last too much longer. I have a new larger hard drive and want to transfer everything from the restored drive to the new one. (Data, system files and registry, etc) I'd prefer shareware or freeware but I need to do it right so I'm open to suggestions. I want to be able to just plug in the new one once the files from the current one are on it as if it was right out of the box.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-10, 06:11 PM
Most drive makers have free utilities that can do this

For example, Western Digital has a free edition of Acronis True Image available for download here: WD Support > Downloads > SATA & SAS > WD Caviar Green / GP The catch is, one of the drives (old or new) must be a WD.

Seagate has DiscWizard, which will do the same thing, here: DiscWizard | Seagate

Did your new hard drive come with a disc? If so, you may already have what you need. If not, check the drive manufacture's website---not Dell or HP, but the actual company's hard disk they used.

I hope this helped.

PS - The technical term for this is "cloning." This procedure makes an exact copy of your old hard drive on the new one, while adjusting for the increased size. Just install the cloning software, insert the new drive as a slave or second drive, run the clone procedure, remove the old drive, and make the second drive the primary drive.

Old 10-25-10, 06:53 AM
Wink Fantastic

Totally fabulous answer!! Thank you. I'd forgotten about trying WD.
Desy2820 to the rescue!!!
I'll check it out.