Linux General Consensus

Old 10-19-10, 09:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Linux General Consensus

Just trying to get peoples general consensus on running Ubuntu Linux on an Acer Aspire laptop with an AMD Athlon 2650e running at 1.6Ghz, with 2GB Memory and an 80GB hard drive. I have two hard drives for this laptop, and one of them has Windows 7 installed on it. Who out there would run Linux over Windows 7?

Old 10-19-10, 11:59 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I don't really like Ubuntu partly because of Gnome. I did try it long ago but for reasons I can't even remember now never really liked it though many swear by it.
Who out there would run Linux over Windows 7
Not sure what you are asking but I wouldn't. I don't run Windows at all.

If you have trouble with Ubuntu you might want to look at PCLinuxOS. Very easy to use and many versions small and large. While the main version is KDE there is also a Gnome version if you like Gnome.

Old 10-19-10, 12:17 PM
The only problem so far that i've had with Linux is the support for my wireless card. Ubuntu so far is the only one that it's working with. It none of the other wireless cards that we have in the apartment work with it. Two of them are Netgear, one is a Two are Linksys, and one is an off brand.

Old 10-19-10, 01:31 PM
I do not use wireless but from what I read on the PCLOS forums we have a lot of converts because their wireless just worked after failing to work in other distros. You might want to try the live CD and see if wireless work. Also ask here: Networking if your cards work.

Old 10-19-10, 03:56 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Nothing wrong with Linux if you like the interface

I prefer the Windows interface and that’s what I’m using

Old 10-19-10, 04:21 PM
So far I'm liking the speed of Linux over the speed of Windows on this. It works pretty well so far. The webcam built into my laptop works great with it, except I wish there was a program so I could grab shots with it. There may be one, but I do not know the name of it. Along with that, I have a hard time installing programs.

Old 10-19-10, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by kolias
Nothing wrong with Linux if you like the interface

I prefer the Windows interface and that’s what I’m using
There are a couple of hundred interfaces for Linux and some are MS like and some are Mac like and yes some can require a learning curve. What interfaces have you tried?

Old 10-19-10, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by crazycory22
.... Along with that, I have a hard time installing programs.
Another reason I recommend PCLOS. A couple of clicks and it is installed automatically.

Old 10-19-10, 07:44 PM
Right now I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed. I have used Mandrake, Fedora, RedHat. And those are the only ones that stand out right now that I can remember. But I always seem to come back to Ubuntu. Oh yeah I have also tried DSL, but wasn't very fond of it. I use Ubuntu Live for computers that can't boot their Windows partition. Boot it using my Live CD then save all the docs onto a thumbdrive that way i can migrate them back over once i get the computer back up and running again

Old 10-21-10, 10:28 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do you use the Ubuntu live cd to move files to thumb drive. My in-laws are in this situation. They can't boot to windows. I tried with the Ubuntu Live CD but could not figure it out.

Old 10-22-10, 07:23 AM
First plug your thumb drive in, then start the computer with the Ubuntu Live CD in the drive, at least that's what I usually do. But first you have to make sure that the computer can boot from the CD drive

Old 10-22-10, 08:58 AM
Usually you have to boot the Live CD to root not user. However Ubuntu uses Sudo so I may be wrong for Ubuntu. Crazycory22, does Stumped1 need to boot to root?

Last edited by ray2047; 10-22-10 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-22-10, 09:29 AM
ray2047: With Ubuntu, Stumped1 doesn't have to boot to Root, just put the disk into the drive, and then boot the computer. It will ask if you want to install or run live. Just choose run live, and then you can get all the documents from local disk drive. If I can get the time, I'll make a quick video of how to do it with annotations on what to do, and then I'll post it to youtube or a similar video site. More than likely youtube. Can't guarantee the quality of the walk through, but I will try my best.

Old 10-22-10, 10:26 AM
I'll make a quick video of how to do it with annotations on what to do, and then I'll post it to youtube or a similar video site.
Excellent. I'm sure many users, not just Stumped, will benefit. When you get it up you might want to ask a mod to make it a sticky. I'm sure it would be useful to a lot of Windows users who have an un-bootable computer.

Old 10-22-10, 10:36 AM
I work tonight, tomorrow, and sunday. I'll try to get it up during my time off, if not, I'll definitely try and work on it monday.

Old 10-22-10, 06:05 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Excellent. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-24-10, 10:35 PM
Tomorrow, well I guess now it's today, I will work on the video of how to retrieve files using Ubuntu 10.10. I will be using a Live CD, because not everyone will be able to use a USB Thumb Drive to boot their computer. I would just do a screen record using Linux, but seeing as I'm going to be using a Live CD I have no way of installing programs to it. This is my first ever how to video that I'm going to be working on, so I'm sorry if it's not the best. But I will try my best to make it look good. Once posted if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. You can either ask in a comment on the youtube video, and then I'll copy and paste the question to here, so that every one else can see the question/answer or you can ask straight in here. Also once posted I will speak to one of the mods and see if they'll make the video link into a sticky.

Old 10-25-10, 06:09 PM
Ok, so in the process of processing my video for youtube, my computer crashed, and it crashed hard. I have to remake it again. I am trying to get it done.

Old 10-25-10, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
My $ .02?

Run them both. Dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 (It will be supported longer than 10.10) and Windows 7. Have the best of both worlds.

If Windows is already installed, the Ubuntu installer will even let you resize your windows partition to make room.

I've been a long time linux geek and always said Ubuntu was too beginner oriented. Until I tried it myself. It's about the easiest distribution to setup and use. Plus there is such a huge support community behind it..

Old 11-03-10, 10:31 AM
How To Video

Ok as I type this I'm working on the how to video. I know I said I'd have it up a long time ago. I've had some problems with my server, and main computer. Had to completely rebuild them both. Wish I could have used the server to do this because it's XP, but I'm going to use my Windows 7 machine, and I am gonna show a rough way to do it using a USB thumb drive. Well two USB thumb drives actually. One with Ubuntu 10.10 on it, and the other one as the back up drive. Again this is a VERY rough how to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: