wireless/laptop help

Old 11-08-10, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless/laptop help

Hi all,

Okay so I hooked up a wireless router to my home PC over the weekend and it seems to work fine. The kids can connect with their Ipods and our Xbox 360 can connect as well using the internet. The problem I am having is when I bring my laptop computer home from work I can't seem to get the internet to work. I have logged onto the router with the laptop and the signal strentgh is excellent however, when I go to my Google Icon and try a website I get a message saying I need to connect. Any idea what can be going on here? I am assuming it may be a setting in the laptop seeing the other devices are working on the router. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-10, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
One thing...is this a personal laptop..or provided by work?

Also...what operating system? Vista?

Old 11-08-10, 09:37 AM
This a work laptop and is using Windows XP. The main PC at home is Vista. I quick check with our computer guy says that possibly the router has a static IP in it instead of an automatic one which may not allow it to connect properly. Other than that he wasn't sure off hand.

Old 11-09-10, 04:40 PM
static IP?

so you can wireless logon to the router
at the IP adress of 192.168.1.1 ( usually the default for most routers ? )

that's odd, as if you can logon to the router and see the settings, then you can usually surf

hit start button

under run

type in cmd.exe

this will open a black command box

at the box type in

ipconfig / all

you should see your current connection info, including you IP address and the default gateway ( router's IP ) address,,
if your IP address starts with a 169.x.x.x

then that means you are not connected and you have no IP assigned to your laptop

it should start with a 192.168.x.x or what ever the gateway metric is ( it can be 10.x.x.x )

you also can see if DHCP is enabled on your laptop, as it might be set to a fixed IP, on a different subnet mask for your work, the simple fix is to set the wifi card on the laptop to AUTO for IP ( DHCP )

Old 11-10-10, 06:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Friend of mine got a new laptop with a new job and had a similar problem - the tech guys at her office had to change a setting, something about a proxy server