Wireless Network - Help Me Win Debate With My Wife

Old 11-11-10, 07:10 AM
doc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless Network - Help Me Win Debate With My Wife

We're going to buy a router for a new home network. We'll be connected to the outside world via fiber at 10 Mbps. We'll be networking a desktop computer,
PS3, and Directv DVR, and a laptop. The desktop and maybe the DVR will be wired and the PS3 and laptop wireless.

My wife says all we need is a basic G router, but my son-in-law tells me we should get an N router. I'm arguing for the N (probably the Linksys e2000 or maybe a Belkin).

Can someone give me some good reasons to buy the N that will convince my wife?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-10, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
This is an easy one!

Most definitely buy the N and if you are doing a lot through it buy a better quality one.

I take pics off flash cards on an upstairs computer then back them up to another computer in the basement by wireless.
There was a major speed increase in doing this when I went from G to N.
Plus, with the increase in range I am able to walk on a dike 250' behind my house and with my laptop show mother in my home city the ducklings on the lake!

Old 11-11-10, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
N

Pretty significant difference in capacity/speed

Old 11-11-10, 12:55 PM
doc
So far, so good. That distance is awsome. Mitch, can I ask what brand of router you bought?

Old 11-11-10, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Linksys

Old 11-11-10, 06:52 PM
fiber = FIOS ?

are you going to get FIOS?

awesome

I have it, it use to be 20/10, now I downgraded to 15/5

they will give you a router / modem
and it G rated, ( mine is ), not sure if the newer models are N rated

so are you going to use another router behind the fiber router? or simply use the main router for VOD and channel guide that the DVR will need, and the newer proposed G router for wireless duties?

Old 11-13-10, 01:32 PM
doc
Yeah, the Linksys is a good one. The Belkin (N+) is cheaper by $20 and seems to be good reviews, too. I don't think I can go wrong with either.

Our daughter and her husband have Fios and it's awesome. For us, we're just far enough out in the county there's no cable, not even DSL. As luck would have it, a local company that provides fiber for businesses is going to try an experiment running fiber out to us country folks. Bare bones - they bring it into the house and we provide the router.

Just internet for the time being. Maybe TV in a few years. We're psyched, though. Bye bye to dial-up and, more recently, Verizon broadband cards (the 5 gig cap on the Verizon card was a killer...)

thanks for the tips guys!

Thanks

Old 11-15-10, 12:19 PM
Ask her if she wants to draw her bath water from the creek or use modern plumbing and open a faucet. To me, that is the difference between G and N. Why settle for older technology when the new is relatively inexpensive in comparison. Look at it this way...what is your value per dollar spent in terms of specification comparisons...long story short, N is the way to go!

And by the way, if you draw your water from the creek...good for you...nothing offensive is implied (I would actually envy you for your location).

Old 11-15-10, 01:51 PM
doc
I like the comparison to plumbing. I'll use that one and let you know how it works.

She may have balked at spending $130 or so for an N, but the Belkin N+ goes for $59. As you said, a great deal compared for a $40 or
$50 G.

Thanks!

Old 11-15-10, 04:14 PM
You are welcome and good luck...tread lightly!

FYI, as a reference, I have a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (WRT320N))Wireless Router that I have used for 1-2 years now with no troubles at all...not the first hint. Installation was simple and it has excellent speed and range. We regularly sit on the back patio outside with laptops without any trouble (4 rooms removed from the source). It handles traffic very well (internet, wireless printer, one desktop, and 4 laptops running on a regular basis).

It even has survived two 5' falls...spring cleaning and a football strike!