broadcasting

Old 11-04-10, 08:08 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
broadcasting

I have a router which is secure and I run ethernet cables from the modem to the router then an ethernet cabe from the router to the desktop.
We have a laptop so the router communicates with the laptop.
I know all cables and no broadcasting is more secure than wireless but I am getting opinions that you should never broadcast.
Does this mean that everyone with a laptop has to run a long ethenet cable to the laptop?
I think most people have secure routers and communicate with the laptop through the router but there are opinions that sound like papranoia suggesting no broadcasting at all.
Perhaps I should tell the router not to broadcast while on the desktop and to broadcast when on the laptop when in another room.
Any SOUND ideas?

Old 11-04-10, 11:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a certain amount of paranoia that some people have. If you use WPA2 encryption and an unguessable key than you are as secure as you can be without going over the top. Not broadcasting won't stop a half decent hacker. If you're the kind of person who wants steel bars covering the windows because someone can smash their way into your house, then by all means use wires only.

Old 11-04-10, 12:26 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
broadcating

A common sense answer, finally.
I do have a wired router that i could use but while he laptop is functional, I will use the wireless one.
Sometimes WPA2 causes peripherals not to work but WPA with a solid password and a very solid passphrase should be sufficient.
Thank you

Old 11-26-10, 08:08 PM
P
When they say "not broadcasting" they might be talking about not broadcasting the SSID not actually turning the wireless off.

I use a wireless with SSID broadcast disabled, WPA2 encryption and MAC address filtering turned on. It's going to take a dedicated hacker some time to get into mine.

Old 11-27-10, 04:03 PM
M
same set up

"I use a wireless with SSID broadcast disabled, WPA2 encryption and MAC address filtering turned on. It's going to take a dedicated hacker some time to get into mine. "

I use pretty much the same set up, but a decent hacker an break that in a bout 10 minutes

pretty nothing really worth stealing ( save for my bandwidth ) on my network

Old 11-27-10, 04:38 PM
P
Originally Posted by mikerios
I use pretty much the same set up, but a decent hacker an break that in a bout 10 minutes

pretty nothing really worth stealing ( save for my bandwidth ) on my network
Gee, thanks for bursting my bubble!! LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: