Virus / malware protection: recomendations?

Old 11-29-10, 09:22 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Virus / malware protection: recomendations?

I'd like to update virus/malware software on one computer, and provide that software on two other computers at the house. Any recommedations for multi-license software? Is there really any choice between CA / McAfee / Symantec?

Thanks,
Dave O

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-10, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 39 Posts
I use Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot and Malwarebytes. ALL Free and do an excellent job. If you do a search, you'll find most of us use this combo or similar.

Old 11-30-10, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
BitDefender plus Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Spyware Blaster. My Bit Defender is approaching renewal time; $119 for 3 years/3 PC's.

Old 11-30-10, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
One little quirk with Avast that has reared it's head this week. If you have it configured to "scan outbound mail" (why, who knows), you need to uncheck it. My email address has the moniker of the NRA on it and apparently Avast is a politically correct entity, so it kicks out all my outbound mail and puts up an error message. My ISP was stumped until their mail started to get jinxed. We solved it today.

Old 12-24-10, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Norton Security Suite

Unlike older versions, Norton now has a light foot print and is not a resource hog.
It offers excellent protection and the definitions are updated evey few minutes.
Check with your isp to see if they offer a free A/V -firewall program as many do so.

Old 12-24-10, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I use Avast, Spybot and Microsoft Security Essentials

Used to use just Avast and had no problems but the others are free, so I figured why not?

Old 12-24-10, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
security

Avast and MSSE's are both a/v programs. You don't use them together do you?
Malwarebytes anti malware is as good as Spybot but easier to use I think.
What do you do for a firewall, use Windows?

Old 12-25-10, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 39 Posts
Yeah, I use them together. Normally 2 anti-virus don't work together, but for some reason, these get along.

Old 01-01-11, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would never run 2 AV programs resident on any machine even if they seem to work alright together because of the increase in resource utilization, as well as the potential for conflicts under certain types of infections. That being said, I run MSSE on my work laptop and Avast(managed) on my work desktop and the 3000 workstations/600 servers I support. We have previously used Norton Corporate, Symantec Managed, AVG Managed, and Avira, all with lower success rates than Avast. Protection against malware is an ongoing process that combines endpoint protection (AV), UTM, perimeter defense and training to keep your machines fully protected.

Once malware is suspected I use Malwarebytes (MBAM) almost exclusively for detections and most removals. I used AdAware and Spybot for years, but since 2007 I have compared MBAM against almost all of its competitors and have had the best results with MBAM.

As you may have already discovered, rogue applications (like fake AV programs) and many rootkit viruses can't be cleaned by any AV programs - they are usually limited to notification and containment only. For these eradications I have found that the following combination is the most effective:
GMER - detection
RKILL - TSR termination
MBAM - Rogue app/malware/most virus removal and cleanup
TDSSkiller (v2) - TSR, rootkit termination and eradication
Combofix - final cleanup

At home I use MSSE on all workstations, but I make sure my family is properly trained and educated about all new threats and what their response should be. For that I have been rewarded by not having an infection in at least five years.