Computer in the shop?

Old 12-04-10, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer in the shop?

Does anyone have experience with precautions and protection for a desktop computer and monitor in a woodworking shop or other dusty environment?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-10, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Ideally, you could keep the box in another room and just have your mouse and keyboard exposed during use. A flat screen monitor would be pretty easy to protect with a wood frame and a piece of plexi in front. The mouse and kybd could be kept under something like the covers over piano keys? That would hinge up out of the way when in use?

You won't be typing and using a router or belt sander at the same time, right? I have a $50 Logitech wireless mouse and kybd combo that works fine even when I'm almost 10ft away, though I haven't tried it through the wall.

You could also get one of the flexible flat kybds...though I never really liked the feel of them.

Old 12-04-10, 07:20 AM
Belt sander or router? Sure, if that's possible! I'm just trying to figure out what the concerns would be if I didn't cover them or forgot to plus maybe what would be needed to protect only the expensive parts like the CPU itself and if older-style monitors (not flat screen - the idea is to recycle a machine from the house that I'll be replacing with a new CPU and flat-screen) need dust protection, the monitor too. Keyboard and wired mouse could be replaced periodically for less than $20 . . .

Old 12-04-10, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Yes..the CPU and older CRT monitors are more susceptible to dust. That would be your main concerns. Back in my Navy days they had environmental cabinets for PCs...of course they were old Zenith 286s...lol.

Old 12-04-10, 08:16 AM
Yes, I also remember the days when dust getting in the hard drive and ambient temperature were issues. We barely worry about them now!

I think dust is primarily a problem with mechanical parts now (fan and fan motor, CD/DVD drives).

Old 12-04-10, 09:07 AM
You could always build a cabinet for the computer itself and include a dust filter(nylon stocking) over the vent holes that you put in the cabinet. Then with the monitor, you could do the same. But they must have vent holes so air can get in and cool the equipment. Also make the filters (nylon stocking) removable so that you can clean them every other day, week, month...

Old 12-04-10, 09:40 AM
Old 12-05-10, 05:15 AM
The mouse isn't an issue if it's a laser mouse. Just blow it out or vacuum it. The keyboard can be covered with a piece of clear plastic.

You can make your own monitor and tower covers for about $5. All it takes is some tape and the material from a couple of Filtrete furnace filters.