Toshiba laptop memory install problem

Old 12-13-10, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Toshiba laptop memory install problem

I have an older Toshiba laptop, model # A-105- S4547. I recently purchased 2, 2gb memory chips for it from Crucial .com. I had some problem removing the original chips and one of the small arms that clamps on the side of the chip broke off on one of the banks. Then as I tried to reinstall the new chips I had trouble even getting them in and to lay flat as they are supposed to. Well in the process I think I damaged one side of the memory banks contacts, because after I restarted the computer it only recognized 2gb instead of 4gb. My question is, can that bank be repaired if it is damaged or am I out of luck. The original memory was 2, 1gb chips so I am back to square one.
Fritoguy 15

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
You might be OOL considering it's older. Back in my Navy days we would try and salvage edge connectors using magnifiers and dental tools, but the contacts in todays PC's are very small and don't like being bent.

The locking tab isn't THAT big a deal, but could lead to memory issues if the laptop takes a bump just right.

Old 12-13-10, 12:41 PM
I'll have to open it up again and look to see if I can do anything with the contacts with my dental pick, nice idea! If not guess I'll take to a shop and see what they say. Any idea why the module won't lay flat like they should? do I need to push in harder maybe?
Fritoguy15

Chips4u&me!!!!