Computer Crash

Old 12-15-10, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer Crash

I have a Dell Demension E521 PC.
It will not boot, It will not accept a Cd. There is power but that is all there is. The message on the monitor says " no signal ". I have checked all electrical connections to be sure they are tight. I have blown all the dust out of the inside of the case.
There is a lighted (small ) #3 & 4 on the front part of the computer that keeps flashing off and on.
When I turn the computer on & then insert a cd it spins up then stops.
Nothing works on the logitec key pad either. I cannot even begin to trouble shoot anything without the computer or monitor working. Any advice ? The computer is, I think, about 4 years old using Windows Vista. Were about ready to junk it but this board is usually helpful so I thought I would give it one last shot before the scrap heap.
Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the monitor says "no signal", it most likely is your connection between the monitor and the CPU. Do you have it plugged in correctly and tightly? Until you get the monitor to accept a signal from the cpu, you won't know if it boots or not. What has been done or who has done anything to the computer, like upgrades, memory, etc.

Old 12-15-10, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just finished changing out my mother board because of a similar problem. I started slowly over several months though. The computer would loose signal to the monitor. Then it got to where it started going it during boot.

Initially though it was the video card and switched to onboard video but it just got worse. Finally changed the power supply thinking it was unstable but it didn't help. A new mother board fixed it. Not saying it is the mother board just recounting my recent experience.

First you need to try re-seating the memory. If you have two or more sticks try it with just one stick. Then try the other stick.

Old 12-15-10, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Check your PSU outputs
Go here for info: Power Supply Unit (PSU) Basics including ATX Power Supply Pinouts

Old 12-16-10, 08:14 AM
THank you for your responses.
Nothing new has been added It all just happened all of a sudden. Last night I switched the on/off button. It came on for the first time in days. Just the Dell start-up screen. Then it went blank again and the "no signal" message came on ???? What does this mean & how do you do that ? "try re-seating the memory".

Old 12-16-10, 09:42 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Memory

What does this mean & how do you do that ? "try re-seating the memory".
Remove the memory chips and then re-install them.

Old 12-16-10, 12:44 PM
Wink Computer Crash

Since the monitor was not working ( just a message "no Signal ") I connected a differnent monitor that I knew was working. Same message with this monitor connected. "No signal ". Apparently it is somthing serious with the computer. Any suggestions now. I cannot even trouble shoot without a monitor.

Old 12-16-10, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
That blinking #3 and#4 is a code. look in your manual to see what it says. Also you may have a seperate video card. This is where the monitor plugs into the back. The card may not be plugged in correctly.

Mike NJ

Old 12-16-10, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
After you have reseated the memory and checked with individual memory sticks then it is mostly just parts replacing till it works again. First though are you getting any beep codes, even a post code? Post code is usually one short beep when you turn it on.

Also you might want to pull the CMOS battery for an hour or so then replace to reset the bios to default. Probably won't help but worth a try. You might want to replace it. Again I doubt it is the problem but you start with cheap and work your way up.

Visually inspect the mother board for any swollen or burst capacitors.

Post back for further info on anything you are unfamiliar with.

Edit: Ignore my beep code question. The visual numbers are probably the equivelent.

Old 12-16-10, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Blinking 3 and 4 is a memory issue.

Memory modules are detected,
but a memory failure has
occurred.
If you have two or more memory modules
installed, remove the modules, reinstall
one module (see "Installing Memory" on
page 68), and then restart the computer. If
the computer starts normally, reinstall an
additional module. Continue until you
have identified a faulty module or
reinstalled all modules without error.
If available, install properly working
memory of the same type into your
computer (see "Installing Memory" on
page 68).
If the problem persists, contact Dell (see
"Contacting Dell" on page 122).

Old 12-16-10, 07:13 PM
on board video

no signal usually means a video card failure
but it odd you get he BIOS Rom Dell logo on boot
but it can also mean that the video cart will display the low level graphics of the BIOS ROM at boot and then fail as it switches to a higher resolution at a higher frequency

if you look at the back of you Dell
where is the DVI / VGA cable plugged in to, a slot with a dedicated video card or on the case along side other connectors ( indicating a built in video )

from what i can look up you have the Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE integrated chip on the motherboard, and i bet it has failed, save for only posting the bare minimum for BIOS settings and adjustments

reboot the computer

and see if you can hit the DEL key right as you reboot ( a hard re boot )

the problem is you may be USB keyboaqrtd only, and i think your model lack the ps2 ports for mouse and keyboard, so it may not work.\

if you cannot get into the BIOS area, i do not think it's worth buying a cheap PCI based video card and seeing if it work since it's sounding like you onboard video failed on you