New DiscDoctor won't heal my scratched disc's

Old 12-07-10, 03:45 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New DiscDoctor won't heal my scratched disc's

I bought a new DiscDr to replace my worn out one. It doesn't work worth a do-do. The old one would actually take the scratches out by sanding down the facing and it would leave very fine straight scratches going from the inside to the outside and the disc would work perfectly. This new one doesn't even leave a mark much less remove any scratches. I guess you could say it just cleans the dust off. The abrasive wheel on the new one seems very soft whereas the old wheel had a slight sandpaper feel. Even the new replacement wheels are soft. I feel like getting some 2000grit sandpaper and glue it on the wheel.

What do you guys recomend?

Old 12-11-10, 11:57 AM
S
Received a tip on cleaning scratched cd's and was wondering if anyone here has used it. Furniture polish is supposed to work. I get the feeling it doesn't actually remove the scratches but fills them with the polish. Does this really work?

skeeter

Old 12-11-10, 01:02 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It can work by filling in the scratches. Car wax works as well. Make sure you get all of the dust off before you play it or it can gum up the works inside the player.

Old 12-11-10, 01:57 PM
M
try toothpaste

toothpaste actually works well believe it or not, since toothpaste uses a very fine silca powder. i do not use the disc doctor but rather the Alertec DVD/ Disc repair. it work great, for both cleaning and polishing discs. the discs are changeable for polishing or just cleaning the discs.

Old 01-02-11, 04:57 PM
J
Just for kicks, I tried a headlight lens repair kit on a CD that I had spilled some isopropyl alcohol on, after my generic disc doctor failed to repair it satisfactorily. It was outstanding! The extra-fine abrasions made the surface consistent all the way around, and the built-in wax(?) shined it back to working condition. The one I used was Meguiar's PlastX. By the way, I can see the headlights now on my Grand Cherokee also!

As far as general cleaning goes (we rent a lot of discs from RedBox and end up needing to clean them at least 1/3 of the time) warm water and Dawn, patted dry by a cotton towel (NEVER USE PAPER TOWELS ON PLASTICS). Sometimes I will use an eyeglass lens cleaner if there are only fingerprints on them - a box of 100 was $2.37 from Sam's Club.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: