VISTA wake from sleep problems.

Old 12-25-10, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
VISTA wake from sleep problems.

HP Pavillion desktop PC. 2 years old, came with Vista home premium . We use the "sleep" key on the keyboard. On a fairly regular basis ( 2~3 times per week or more) it fails to wake from sleep. Have to push the off button, they restart. It does not like this, and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries.

I have read a lot through google about this sleep issue, but have not found a definitive solution.

Any input gratefully appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-11, 06:28 PM
Stop using the sleep key? Just kidding. Seriously though, can you reproduce this behavior if you choose "sleep" or "hibernate" from the start menu instead of using the keyboard? If it works correctly from the start menu, look up your system at support.hp.com and see if they have related updates to drivers or software. In the meantime, use it from there instead of the keyboard. If the sleep/hibernate acts the same, then restart your system and go into the BIOS/Setup before Windows loads (usually F10 on HP). Once in there, go through each section until you see a section related to power saving. Change it from S3 to S1, which has more power consumption but greater stability. Make sure you don't change anything else in the BIOS, then save and exit, and restart Windows to test again.

Also, download the latest BIOS revision from HP's support website for your model. There is usually an update released every few months, so I'm sure one is available for your system, and it might correct the problem you mention. Last but not least, make sure all updates are current through Windows Update, including service packs.

Old 01-16-11, 10:37 AM
Thank you for your feedback. First, let me explain that I have now had a happy outcome which I will explain. But first , a rant! I am a computer USER...home and work. I DON'T know and don't WANT to have to know how to fiddle with the bios, etc etc. When will they make a computer that an average home user can turn on and go!!!!

Anyway, I found a recently opened PC Tech shop locally. I got a warm fuzzy feeling from the guy, so I left it with him with the go-ahead to do whats necessary. On first glance, he said it could be Vista corrupted and needs reload. Possibly some bad memory. But he had it for a day and a half and determined the mother board was toast, and causing all the issues. The CPU was OK, so he installed a new motherboard and hooked everything up. Hard drive is intact, everything hunky dory. Total charge> $130 out the door, parts and labor. I am stoked! ( He gave me the diagnostic free, as his grand opening special.. But even it he had charged me the $69 diagnostic fee...I still think it's cheap at twice the price~~!!)