trouble connecting to wireless router

Old 12-27-10, 09:18 AM
trouble connecting to wireless router

my daughter got a new netbook with Windows 7 for Christmas. We were unable to view the wireless router in our house. We have two other laptops that were able to view and connect to the network after we put in the passphrase. I used my Droid phone as a hotspot and was able to connect but for some reason it does not pull up the connection when you search for a network. I looked at the paperwork for the wireless router and it mentions some devices as wi-fi protected and you would have to press a button on the router but I don't see where this netbook has this.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-10, 05:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does the netbook have wireless capabilities, first? Next, is the netbook in range of the router? Does the router have two antennae? If so set one vertical and the other horizontal for better range coverage.

Old 01-01-11, 06:42 PM
I have to assume that the netbook is wireless since you mentioned using your Android as a hotspot instead of a tether.
1) Do you have SSID BROADCAST disabled on your router? If so, you will have to manually enter the SSID in order to connect the netbook. Or else you can just enable SSID BROADCAST in the router.
2) Can you disable the WI-FI PROTECTED SETUP in the router? Sometimes this affects certain brands of network adapters.
3) Are you using some proprietary wi-fi connection program to manage wireless networks on your netbook? Some manufacturers include these from the factory, but Windows handles this better than any of the proprietary programs do.