IDE/USB cable?

Old 01-01-11, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IDE/USB cable?

I'm looking to use an old HDD as an external so I need a cable to connect things.

It's IDE 3.5 and USB 2.0

Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-11, 04:31 PM
BUY.COM or NEWEGG.COM

SABRENT USB-DSC5 Serial ATA (SATA) or IDE 2.5" and 3.5" to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter

I'm just curious, did you try a search for your request in either Google or Bing? There are literally dozens of similar products, all between $10 and $30. Unfortunately, the cheapest versions have reviews that indicate the power supply might smoke the HD, so I would check the voltage before plugging in any drive on any cable.

Old 01-01-11, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the response.

I wasn't trying to get the cheapest or even a list of manufacturers. I could, like you say, use Google for that.

Some are better than others and I was hoping to get an answer from someone who had first hand knowledge on the subject.

Old 01-01-11, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic previously, it was unintentional. I was actually meaning that you can find accurate buyer reviews that way. Unfortunately, as helpful as forums are for some things, you will be limited to just a handful of people who either have 1 good or bad experience with a product. Product reviews from Newegg or other distributors will give you a much better cross-section of buyers, and therefore be more accurate about a particular item's quality.

Old 01-01-11, 08:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Newegg seems to carry some of the best user reviews. Not suggesting buying there. Just suggesting you check if they have the item and what the reviews are and then buy at your favorite place. I judge their reviews as uncensored because you do see negative input in the reviews. If they have 50 reviews and you see the same negative comment in several reviews it alerts you to something that may or may not be a problem for you or you are not willing to risk.