Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to delete info on my computer

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-22-00, 05:35 PM   #1  
I am going to donate my old desktop to charity. Please tell me how to delete my personal info stored in memory. It has windows 95.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-22-00, 07:08 PM   #2  
Marshall Buttrey
Easiest way is to format the hard drive, and then re-build with the cd that came with the system. Not hard to do.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-23-00, 06:34 PM   #3  
Thanks Marshall. I will attempt that and hope formatting comes with instructions on the screen.

Visiting Guest

12-24-00, 12:32 AM   #4  
Marshall Buttrey
You're welcome. Best way is to boot from DOS, not windows. You will get what is called a c: prompt. Type format c: /s and depress the enter key.

the c: is the drive you want to format. The /s transfers the system files to the drive formated.

Rebuilding depends on the CD you received when you bought the system.

All data will be erased, and the system files will be transfered. Like tape, some one might be able to extract the old data from the hard drive, but this is a speciality and requires expensive equipment. It is mainly used in criminal cases, and I've never heard of individuals having the necessary equipment.

Good Luck

CANADA

01-03-01, 07:52 PM   #5  
Yes the best way is to format the drive and reddo the system. If you boot from DOS will the cd rom be excessable ? The other thing is to make sure you have the drivers for your sound card, video card, modem, or whatever else that may be needed. If you don't at least write down the name and model of each device. You should find information on that in the control panel, system icon, device tab. I asume you can excess the internet with your other computer if you need to find drivers. Windows may or may not detect or find by it self all the drivers needed. What I usually use when I redo a system is a windows 98 or a windows me start disk, with this you can place it in the a drive boot up on it (asuming that your bios is set to boot a then c) this special start floppy will detect most cd roms and bring it up so that you have to install your system from cd. The start floppy also has several system progarms that may be needed , like command.com, format, and fdisk. So make certain that you do have the cd rom before formating. I beleive the windows 95 start disk does not have cd rom drivers built into the floppy (I could be corrected on this one) but windows 98 & me does. I usually do a format:/u format command (unconditional format), if you want to add the /s is up to you, but the system will be transfered to the c drive when the operating system is installed anyway. I have only had one system that the windows 98 or me start disks would not bring up the cd rom and that system had a quad speed cd room (almost unheard of by todays cd standards), I ended up having to make an install directory , transfer the main install files to that directory from the cd rom. With the old system running I deleted almost everything on the c: drive except the windows directory. Booted the computer from my start up floppy, then renamed the windows directory. Installed the system from the install directory where I had copied the files. Once the system was completly up again, I then deleted the OLD renamed windows directory, and new system install directory, as once the system was completely installed the cd rom worked again. Not the way I usually like to do things.

CANADA

01-03-01, 08:00 PM   #6  
just to mention , doing a unconditional format, is a better way of ensuring that data cannot be recovered. Even blowing the partitions and then re-instating them will almost guantee that no-one will be able to recover anything from before.

If you don't understand what I meant by the last sentenced, then it might be best to lease fdisk (disk partitions) alone. I feel booting up on a boot floppy , in my view and then formating from there is the best way, but at the same time you must have the cd rom, if you can't excess the cd rom , you can't install from the cd.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-11-01, 07:36 AM   #7  
Thank you for the added information. I have been traveling since I first posted and just now have the time to follow the instructions given by both of you. I will let you know the outcome and again, thanks so much for your time and interest.

Search this Thread