Are Laptop cooling pads worth it???

Old 01-14-11, 08:56 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are Laptop cooling pads worth it???

I am considering one of the laptop cooling pads. are they worth having? do they make any difference? should I get the kind that has fans or the one that just seems to elevate the laptop? on that note what about just putting a couple of rubber pads under the back feet to raise the laptop some to let more air circulate underneath, would that serve the same purpose?

Old 01-14-11, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Lap tops run hot. I dont use a cooling pad. once a month i shut down the computer and blow the heat sink with a can of compressed air. And the fan screen, air intakes..ect. When I first did this the amount of dust that blew out was incredible. You can see the metal heatsink where the air blows out. I could actually feel the fan blowing now.

I prop the back of mine up in the back for better airflow and since I have a dell I downloaded a fan speed control. The fan would never go on high until like 150F cpu temp. I have the fan set to start a 113F. My computer normally runs at 102F CPU temp.

Fan control for Dell.

Dell Inspiron Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control

What computer do you have I may be able to find you a fan control.

Mike NJ

Old 01-14-11, 09:21 AM
K
fan control

I have a compaq laptop. how did you know what temp your cpu usually ran at? thanks for the help.

Old 01-14-11, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
After I installed the fan control there is a temp display in the right task bar. It shows temps for my CPU, Memory, chipset, and harddrive. It stores a max value also so I could see how hot the cpu got. Today it got up to 118F. Even with the fan when my temps get to like 130F I know its time to blow the heatsink dust off.

Mike NJ

Old 01-14-11, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-29-11, 05:25 PM
S
I bought a Belkin cooling pad some time ago. It does keep the laptop somewhat cooler (17" widescreen HP with nVidia graphics card, though I seldom use the card's power). However, I've been less than impressed with this particular lap pad. It adjusts via a piece of plastic that "bows" out at the rear (allowing you to raise/lower the laptop). The tab that holds the adjustment's position frequently releases (poor design) and returns to level position with an annoying pop. The fan ran well for probably a month, and now has minor binding in the bearings (annoying hum that sometimes goes away with a light tap). Of course, having a dog and copius amounts of hair in the house does not help. I lost a fridge to dog hair a few months ago (my fault for not vacuuming the coils...), and cannot agree more with Mike's suggestion to blow out the airflow passageways regularly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: