Windows XP question

Old 01-15-11, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows XP question

I have a Dell computer that was having serious problems. I loaded Windows XP which solved most issues but now I cant adjust the screen resolution. The icons are too large and only have one setting under the display tabe on the control panel. Im sure there is a fix I just havent bound it. Help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-11, 06:24 AM
You will need to go to the Dell website to get the correct display driver for your PC. Follow their directions or:

Right Click My computer/Manage/Computer Management/Device Manager

Find your Display adapter /Right Click and update the driver.Point to the driver you downloaded.

Old 01-15-11, 11:18 AM
Thanks!! Got it fixed. Now after downloading SP 3 every time I try to open control panel I get error message that says windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Control panel wont open!!!

Old 01-18-11, 04:32 PM
Not sure if this is what you want to hear, but you may want to reinstall windows fresh again. Then, as the first this you do, go to support.dell.com and download all the latest drivers for you system (chipset/video/audio/etc...). You'll be able to search based on the service tag on a sticker somewhere on your system, or manually select your model. If there is a chipset driver, install that before all others. Reboot between each driver install just to be safe.

Old 01-18-11, 09:29 PM
Agreed. Dell computers like to load their drivers before Windows is installed.

Old 01-19-11, 04:37 AM
Rick, if your saying load the drivers BEFORE windows how will I be able to get to the support site to dl the drivers. I guess I could get them to a disk before I reload windows. The way I read obogdanov is reload Windows then the first thing i would do is down load the drivers in the order chipset, video, network and audio as I have read in other places the other order doesnt matter after this sequence. I do no that the first time I had to download monitor drivers to adjust the resoulution so should I wait until after the other drivers are loaded to do this. I can read the lower resolution but its difficult. Thanks for the help from both of you.

Old 01-20-11, 04:03 AM
The Dell disc has motherboard drivers that are supposed to be loaded first to drive the devices onboard the mobo. After Windows is loaded, the Dell drivers for Windows are then installed.

Old 01-20-11, 04:36 AM
Thanks Rick, my wife has long since misplaced the orignal discs, I will try reloading the XP software and then make sure I load the drivers back in the proper sequence, hopefully this will solve the problem.

Old 01-20-11, 11:40 PM
Windows XP question

I have a Dell Latitude D600 that I loaded Windows XP Professional full oem version on for computers without Windows and I then loaded each individual driver on that I had downloaded and saved to disk and everything was fine. There are certainly other ways of doing it but I never had any problems myself. I guess it depends on each computer.