Need to copy

Old 01-15-11, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need to copy

Hi All

I am going to install a new mother bd., with ever thing on it . I have a second hard dr. and would like to copy ever thing I have on the master HD to the Slave HD with out loosing any thing. does any one know where I can get a program (free?) from the internet? I heard that Western Digital has something????

Help

Don

Old 01-15-11, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 364 Votes on 316 Posts
Im sure WD has one as well but I have used Seagate's disk clone tool "Diskwizard" found here: | Seagate . It will make an exact copy of a drive.

Old 01-17-11, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Why do you need to copy? Changing a MB doesn't really affect the HD...though the OS may be set up for the old MB and that can cause some initial glitches with drivers and video. If it's an exact replacement MB there wouldn't normally be too many issues.

Old 01-17-11, 10:06 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Copy

What happened to "Select All", "Copy", and "Paste"?

Old 01-18-11, 07:50 AM
Lightbulb Confused

Hi Gunguy and Wirepuller

I am installing a different type Mother Bd., a new Processor and adding 4 gbs. of ram memory. If I might have problems I may want to reinstall the OS from scratch and then reinstall the programs that would be on the slave HD back to the Pri. HD.
I do not have many of the original disc. for the programs I now have on my PC.

PLEASE UNCONFUSE ME?????

DON

Old 01-18-11, 08:50 AM
W
Second Hard Drive

Install the second hard drive before you change the mother board. Use Tolyn's suggestion to copy the original hard drive to the new slave. Now you have the original and a copy of the primary hard drive.

Now you can proceed to change the motherboard.

Old 01-18-11, 08:50 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When my old puter died, I was able to get the hard drive data off and load it into the new machine. The problem was, as with you, I no longer have some of the program discs - some were actually flopy discs - so I can't get those files to run.

Old 01-20-11, 12:33 PM
Thumbs up Drag & Drop

Once again

The slave drive I have few things on it. I once dragged and dropped a few things on to it from the Master. Nothing very important. Can I leave it there or should I delete it before I move everything from the Master to the slave?

Don

Old 01-20-11, 12:41 PM
W
Slave Drive

Can I leave it there or should I delete it before I move everything from the Master to the slave?
You can leave it there.....................

Old 01-23-11, 09:12 AM
M
change over

the problem is, you can just swap the drive over to the new motherboard, but the problem is the the OS ( you did not mention which one ) will need new chipset drivers for the motherboard, it may or may not boot up, it may go into safe mode, and install generic chipset drivers until you install the proper ones, everything else should be okay

merely copying all your data will not necessarily get the programs to work since most programs install windows specific dlls in the c:\windows\system area and registry entries
and unless you know what dlls belong to what programs and what registry entries belong to what program,

you are better off cloning the drive 1st ( as others have suggested ), set that to master ( unless it's a sata drive then it does not matter ), do NOT install the 1st older drive yet ( the one you copied from ), and then seeif the system boots up ( of course with the need to install the new chipset driver, and any other driver you may need for any new hardware found by the OS ). once the system is up and running, power down then install the 2nd hard drive as slave ( unless it's a sata drive )

keep also in mind if you OS is XP or later such radical changes will mean re activation ( manually ) since the OS was activated on your previous set up

Old 01-23-11, 11:47 AM
Lightbulb New Prob.

Got a new one

I down loaded Acronis from the WD web sight and found out that you can't clone from a WD hard Dr. (primary) to a Seagate Hard Dr. (slave) My OS is XP Pro with SP3, 32bit. I know I should have SP2 instead of SP3.
Does any one know of a prog. that will clone (everything) from the WD to Seagate? My drives are SATA's.

Don

Last edited by AZbowhunter; 01-23-11 at 01:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: