wireless question/problem

Old 01-16-11, 01:01 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wireless question/problem

I installed a linksys wireless router to my home pc running Vista about two months ago and all has been fine. We currently use the router for Xbox gaming system and an Ipod touch and a laptop. This morning my son was playing online with the Xbox and all of a sudden the xbox internet connection was lost. I checked it out and for some reason the wireless name has changed althoght the wireless password works. No one has messed with any settings to change the name. Before when searching for the wirless point it always said Linksys for the name. Now it says Linksys_OW_#### and the passwor is allowing us to connect. There has never been any other wireless points near our house. Any idea what would cause the name to change when looking for the access points in range. Thanks

Old 01-16-11, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is possible it lost signal and reconnected on it's own. You probably have it set to automatically locate this device. When it lost signal, whether from power failure or whatever, it has a name ingrained in it's memory and probably took that name when it re hooked to the signal. Just thinking outloud. Some of the better versed will chime in here shortly, so hang on.

Old 01-24-11, 12:25 PM
B
I had a similar situation with my wireless network. I created and named it with security but now the network just shows the name of my router (dlink) and is not longer secure. I suppose I just go in, change the name and apply security password but not sure. I need to secure it though. Am I on the right track? I have a new wireless printer I want to install but want to correct the network issues first.

Old 01-24-11, 12:36 PM
J
I actually talked to our IT person at work and the name changing is a tell tale sign that some one hacked in an got on the network. HE advised the following which may help you guys out. Change the password and make as long as you can above 12 characters if possible with letters/numbers and lower and uppercase. There are programs out there that can run millions of passwords a second to hack in. Next use MAC filtering and only allow devices with the MAC adresses you specify into the network. THis should keep people out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: