No sound

Old 01-18-11, 11:54 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No sound

After loading XP Pro I cant get my audio software to load. Reloaded all drivers in order per the Microsoft website using the Dell drivers as listed when i input my svc tag. First 3 loaded okay but audio card craps out. Tried several fixes listed but none seem to work. Any suggestions appreciated. Im out of warranty so dont know how much help I will get from Dell support.

Old 01-18-11, 02:19 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Go to control panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, then click Sound Video and Game controllers. One of the listed devices should be the sound card. Double click and select Troubleshoot.

If that doesn't fix it, remove the device and reboot. Windows should find it and load the driver.

Old 01-18-11, 03:47 PM
T
Did the audio work at all after the XP PRO install? If so, you may have a connection issue with the speaker jack on the outside of the PC. If not, when you go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager, does it have an exclamation mark or question mark beside your sound device?

Old 01-18-11, 07:32 PM
B
The troubleshoot doesnt fix the problem. The sound hasnt worked since I installed XP and I do have an exclamation mark by the multimedia control device and modem audio device all the other items under sound video and game controllers seem to be installed and working. It has been suggested I may have to reload XP and go thorought the sequence of reloading drivers. Think I loaded them in order first time but its been a couple days and may have mixed them up.

Old 01-18-11, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
You should have the original disk with the dell audio driver. Insert the disk and go to the audio card with the exclamation point and update driver, It should search and find it on the disk.

Mike NJ

Old 01-18-11, 08:05 PM
T
Reinstalling XP should not fix your issue. Most dell computers i've repaired use SoundMax as the driver installer and the software installer. What you can do is right-click on the device with the exclamation mark and uninstall then restart your computer and if it doesn't automatically find and install the device, then you have the wrong driver from dell. you should double check when you downloaded the driver that you got the right one for the right operating system. is it possible that you downloaded the driver for windows 7 or media center or vista etc??....

Try that and let us know

Old 01-18-11, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Yes and I believe when you put in your service tag it automatically sends you to the drivers for what your system shipped with. I believe you have to manually put in that you have XP pro. Or go the the manufactures web site and see if you can find the driver. I have sigma tel.

Mike NJ

Old 01-19-11, 05:56 AM
B
Ok I will try to locate different driver, didn't realize there could be a different one for XP home and XP pro, which is what I upgraded to. It is trying to load the SoundMax the driver site lists Sound Blaster live 5.1 digital, sound blaster live 24 bit and ADI 198x which is the one i have been trying to install. That may be the issue as the other drivers for chipset, video and network seem to have loaded okay, so I dont think its a .NET or system problem. It appears as you have state to be a compatibility issue. Could live without sound but not will to accept defeat!

Old 01-19-11, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Did you try to update the driver from the device manager? It looks online to update.

Mike NJ

Old 01-19-11, 09:18 AM
B
I have tried everyway i an think of. From the device manager, the dell site, direct from a disk. I must be using the wrong driver, dont know what else it could be.

Old 01-19-11, 01:37 PM
T
Is there any way your sound card is disabled in the BIOS? that will make it so no driver can start the device.

If you post the model number of your computer, i or we could try to locate the driver and post a link or try to troubleshoot for you.

Old 01-19-11, 05:59 PM
B
its a dell dimension 2400 running windows XP pro

Old 01-19-11, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
OK what was wrong with XP??? Why XP pro??? What did you gain??? A headache??? LOL

OK go to device manager and tell me what sound card you have. I will find the driver. All the drivers on the dell site are not compatable with xp pro.

You have ADI intergrated, Creative labs 24 bit or 5.1.

Mike NJ

Old 01-19-11, 07:34 PM
T
Mike:
please don't think i am trying outsmart you at all. After you helped me figure out my boiler yesterday (YOU'RE A GENIUS!!), i decided to see if i could help someone else on this site since i've been a certified PC tech for 10 years.

It is true that Dell site doesn't have all drivers for home and pro but with my experience the only major difference is between 32 bit and 64 bit XP. It's a common misunderstanding with people who think if XP home isn't working well then XP PRO will work much better when in reality the majority of people won't be able to tell a difference in home settings.

Drivers and Downloads

above is a link to the dell site for the DRIVER download. The other 2 are patch/upgrades to the initial driver. (I've always installed the Driver file first then did the upgrades if necessary.)

Wouldn't it be wise to uninstall all software related to the sound and start over with the driver file first?

Tony

Old 01-19-11, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Yes but one is a integrated in the board. The ADI. The other two are upgrades for a seperate card that is installed by a different vendor dell uses and is installed in the PCI slot. Its what platform they are based on. 95,98,NT,ME,XP....7...I ran them all

And all in fun what is certified?? A+... LOL

I graduated 86 in componant level computer repair. I worked for apple computers on the apple II, mac's...ect in the
80's but got into plumbing because thats where the money was. Then worked for Lucent for some time in the optical amplifier area.

I Know technology has passed me up a bit. My kids know more about all this facebook, online gaming, texting stuff.. I might be showing my age.

But you may be right and before I jump the gun I need to learn more. Once he tells me what his card is I will get more info.

I use dells myself and have 4 of them in the home... oh and one e machines... it was cheap..LOL

Mike NJ

Old 01-19-11, 08:26 PM
T
LOL yes yes A+. I think COMPTIA A+ is the latest. I just got info on that in the mail the other day...ANYWAYS that's awesome you studied right when the skill was in great demand. I'm in the same boat trying to follow the money and that led me to te Recreational vehicle industry and that crapped out too!

I was assuming the sound device was integrated or "on board". At this point I would be looking up model number of motherboard if onboard or looking up the model number of the PCI card and going directly to the manufacturers web site but it's always easier to say "what i would do" than actually doing it!! LOL

tell me to leave this topic alone and i will do so! simply trying to help with my 2 cents!! LOL

I agree that when which type of card is verified it will be easier to pin point the correct driver.

who knows...it may be a completely different card from a completely different computer with a completely different brand! LOL

Old 01-19-11, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator
If 1265 posts back lets find a driver for him, or an answer....

Mike NJ

Old 01-20-11, 04:44 AM
B
Lot of questons here, first I changed to pro because home was not working properly, really slow, blue screen and multiple other issues. I had the pro disc but not the home so I took the path of least resistance. I pretty sure its the ADI 198x Integrated Audio card but am at work and cant verify that until I get home. I will definitely post back because this is driving me nuts. Not so much that I want the sound I just cant accept defeat! Thanks for all you suggestions thus far, I also have a post as Windows XP where it has been suggested I reload Windows and start from scratch, I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessay.

Old 01-20-11, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Try this

Audio: Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio Driver Version A01 specs and Keyboard Driver specifications - CNET Downloads

This one first........If this one dont work try the above. If not you have another issue then.
Analog Devices SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio Driver Download

Try removing all the other drivers you have installed.

Mike NJ

Old 01-20-11, 11:36 AM
B
it may require removing all the drivers and reinstall in order per dell instructions. I will try when I get home this evening.

Old 01-20-11, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
I would not un-install all drivers. Just the sound drivers. It just may be you have more then one and its conflicting.

I would go to C:drive/dell folder/drivers folder...and open each one. There should be an icon that says "version" in each driver folder. Delete all the folders that have your sound card in the title when you open up the version icon.

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Old 01-20-11, 01:37 PM
B
Ok, just to set the record straight the dell site says it was shipped with ADI 198X integrated audio when I put in the service tag. Under device manager it recognizes that an audio card is installed but said the manufacter was unknown. For waht its worth I shows an Intel (R) 537 Ep v9x DF PCI modem that gives me the same error msg when I try to install it. I have deleted all the audio drivers and will try to install one from the link you sent.

Old 01-20-11, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Thats your dial up modem. Thats in your pci slot. If your not using it delete the driver or disable the device.

Mike NJ

Old 01-20-11, 05:37 PM
B
Those fixes didnt work either. pretty much confirmed that the audio card is the adi 198x integrated audio that was installed when the computer was manufactured. I still get the msg error occured during install the data is invalid. More and more i suspect it is a systemic issue. I may have loaded other drivers in the wrong sequence after install XP pro. I know I installed the monitor drivers first so i could adjust the resolution but not sure about the order of the others. Am looking for original discs but havent had much luck, my wife moved the computer home from her office and they could be anywhere. Anymore suggestions? I appreciate all your help.

Old 01-20-11, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
You could do a XP pro repair instead of a clean install. Dont hurt to try. If you are patient I will find something. Get back to you soon. Type some searches on the internet and look around. Thats all I have been doing but I have alot of other stuff going on also.

Mike NJ

Old 01-20-11, 07:29 PM
T
The PC i'm using now is a Dell and also has the SoundMAX integrated digital audio as well. can you locate the folder that was created when you extracted all files from the file you downloaded from dell? for example do you have a folder similar to this: C:/DELL/Drivers/R78477/SMAXWDM ?

I'm asking because if you can locate the folder, we can try to manually point to the driver file you want to use to eliminate duplicate non working drivers.

Last edited by tonyjunior; 01-20-11 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-21-11, 04:29 AM
B
When I downlaod the file from the dell sites it creates a folder c:/dell/drivers/R945481. When opened the setup file is there. It will extract start the install and then befor it finishes I get the msg error occured during install the data is invalid. It will then say software did not install do I want to continute. THe next time i startup it says AKI codec not found or installed

Old 01-21-11, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Do you mean AVI codec??? Now we may be getting somewhere.

What is the exact version of XP pro. x64....ect

Run this but dont disable anything. Whats it say.

How to troubleshoot sound problems in Windows XP

Mike NJ

Old 01-21-11, 08:29 PM
T
Yes, in #14 i didn't directly ask if it was 64 bit but that would be helpful as drivers for 64 bit aren't as readily available. Dell driver downloads are not working for me right now so when i can get the file I'll post step by step on how to manually point the device to right driver file embedded with in the program if you are interested.

Old 01-22-11, 04:32 PM
T
I too am having a problem with my sound

I made a mistake and deleted my sound device from my Dell 3000. I have tried to go to the Dell site and download from there, but I keep getting an error. I tried to do the system restore, but that didn't work either, I keep getting an error telling me that my computer could not be restored. Can you guys please help me?? I can believe I was so stupid to delete my sound. UGH!!! Thanks for any help any of you guys provide.

Old 01-23-11, 06:35 PM
B
Finally got mine fixed by doing an XP repair not a full upgrade, i made sure i relaoded the dirviers in order as it said on the del website. When XP was installing it found new hardware and ultimately the drivers seems to be working now. I had to download a ton of new updates but it appears i am now current. Hopefully its fixed, got one blue screen and had to reboot so have my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-23-11, 07:52 PM
i run into a similar problem when i transfer the motherboard and everything else to a new tower (for my brother-in-law) after i was done i would get no sound it is a dell computer i try everything mentioned but nothing help i guess sometimes the onboard sound just goes to **** so i just had an extra sound card and dicided to put it in his computer and now he has sound.

sorry the only thing i didn't try was a fresh windows install.

i found that this is less headache for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: