Fan going out

Old 01-21-11, 09:10 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan going out

Hey guys....another topic, my computer this time. I have a Sony vaio PCV-RZ40C1B from 2004. The fan that's attached to the mother board is going out. It makes noises and stops working every now and then. I guess my computer overheated from it not working about 10 minutes ago because it shut down and that's when I noticed the fan had stopped. Here's a pic of the fan.
The reason I'm asking about it is because I don't know what the fan is called and I'm wondering if you can buy them online or in stores like you could a "regular" fan that usually sits in the back of the machine. Since it's a Sony I wonder if there's a "generic" brand that would still work. It's a pretty big box the fan sits in. It has a model # but I can't see it without taking it out.

EDIT: After further investigation I'm wondering if I can just unscrew the fan and replace that part, since it seems to be sitting on top of the big box. But the fan is smaller than the model that's on the back of the case.

Last edited by guitar; 01-21-11 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 07:40 PM
T
The fan is called a cpu fan and the "box" it's sitting on is called the heatsink. they are most generally sold in a combo and are very inexpensive.

After doing a search of the model number by your processor (P4SD-VX could be P4SO-VX but i couldn't find anything at all on that) I found a replacement board that indicated a Socket 478 CPU.

SO, by looking for a socket 478 CPU heatsink and fan, I found a heatsink/fan combo for less than $10 + s/h. IF you can find the fan by itself it needs to be 70mm X 70mm Length X Width and rated for at least a P4 3.0 GHz.

I'm not sure if this forum allows me to post a link to products on other sites but If someone can verify that it is OK i can post a link here to a site or two that carry them. Local computer stores may have a used Socket 478 Fan that you can get for pennies also

Old 01-22-11, 03:28 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Posting links to products that solve a problem is certainly allowed.

What isn't allowed:
-- Creating a new thread specifically to advertise a product
-- Responding to an existing thread with links to products that have nothing to do with the subject
-- Posting links to other DIY sites.

Old 01-22-11, 04:20 AM
T
Here are two links for the heatsink and fan combo to my most used computer supply sites and according to the number on your motherboard in the picture this should be helpful.

both have good review articles for their products and both have great shipping procedures.

Masscool / Socket 478 / Intel Pentium 4 up to 2.8 GHz / Ball Bearing / CPU Cooling Fan at TigerDirect.com

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z200 92mm Ball CPU Cooler

It's also a good idea to apply more thermal paste to the underside of the heatsink to help dispatch heat from the CPU

thermal paste:
Masscool STARS-700 Silver Color Thermal Grease at TigerDirect.com

Old 01-27-11, 11:27 AM
G
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks so much Tonyjunior for your very helpful posts. Could you please tell me briefly what a socket typ 478 is? Is it the little plugin into the motherboard that the fan connects to?
Even though you've probably solved it for me, here's the serial number for the computer fan and heatsink that's going out: 7-1542008-0.
I will look into getting it replaced immediately.

Old 01-28-11, 09:50 AM
T
Socket 478 is the interface, i guess, of the processor that's under that fan and heatsink. it doesn't have anything to do with wire connector. It only describes which heatsink and fan combo you should use. any aftermarket socket 478 combo will work, so you don't have to necessarily match the serial numbers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: