dlink router dropping internet after 24 hours of no use

Old 01-24-11, 02:06 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
dlink router dropping internet after 24 hours of no use

I have a new Dlink DIR-655 connected to my dsl modem from ATT. The modem is a plain modem without any routing or wireless capabilities. It does provide DHCP. I have 2 PC connected to the router via cat-5 and one PC connected wirelessly. Over a typical weekend, there will be no one using any of the computers for at least 24 hours (sundown Friday to after sunset on Saturday). It seems that the modem will drop the DSL connection during that time and not reconnect as long as it is still connected to the router (lights for power, ethernet and dsl are lit but not for internet). I usually can corrected the problem by connecting the modem directly to one of the PC's and restarting the modem. Once it gets connected to the internet (lights for power, ethernet,dsl and internet are lit), I can connect it back to the router and all is well until next weekend.

The router is configured to recognize the modem as providing a dhcp address. There were other options which used my ID and password for the modem but these did not work consistently. The other options disconnected more often and did not reconnect.

I see the problem as the modem timing out because of a lack of activity which is probably normal. What is not normal is that it does not reconnect when needed. Does anyone know of a setting on the router to correct this? I had no trouble with it using my old dlink WBR-2310.

- Peter

Old 01-25-11, 11:05 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did some looking there are alot of references to "DNS relay" lockup on that unit but they refer to the router being unreachable. i glanced at the manual and found these settings (highlighted). if you have'nt tried them take a look.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: