Laptop mouse

Old 02-01-11, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Laptop mouse

Any experience with a good brand for adding an external mouse to a little used (just for traveling) laptop? Saw a no-name wireless recently for $14 with a usb stick which would be nice for the small space normally available in motels and such. This is for the same older Thinkpad I recently got and installed Linux on.

Will there be issues using a USB wireless or should it just be plug and play, even with Linux?

Old 02-01-11, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 175 Votes on 141 Posts
Vic, I just bought a laptop and didn't like the mousepad thing, so I just picked up a basic usb Microsoft mouse and it works fine. It doesn't need a pad underneath and it works on anything. I don't care for the wireless because they constantly need to have the batteries changed. One sec it works, the next it doesn't. PITA!

Old 02-01-11, 12:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I have mice all over the place, some wired and some wireless - they all work fine

Old 02-01-11, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Guess I might be more concerned about the Linux? Never tried adding anything to it.

Old 02-01-11, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Vic, I have had several wireless mice, and my problem was the large proboscis of an antenna sticking out from the USB port. I now have a Logitech M305 (Wal Mart $19), and it is GREAT. The antenna is only 3/8" thick so I don't hit it everytime I move the laptop. I leave the antenna installed and just turn the mouse off when I am through. OR, it will turn itself to "idle" when it detects no motion. Great little mouse.

Old 02-02-11, 07:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
One of my wireless ones has a very small receiver like this as well - the only problem is I have to be careful into which port I plug it, I've had trouble getting it out if the port is not completely open on all sides around it

Old 02-02-11, 08:57 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've got the Logitech with the tiny receiver. It only sticks out 1/4" and receives both my wireless mouse and keyboard. Maybe not the greatest invention since sliced bread, but comes close for me. I like to use a standard size keyboard.

Old 02-02-11, 06:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I too have the logitech mouse that has the tiny receiver. it's very convenient and the batteries last FOREVER. when you are done with it, you can put the receiver inside the battery compartment of the mouse and it powers off the mouse, or you can just leave it in. great range and accuracy too.

$20 at walmart M215 I believe is the model number

I think it's called a nano receiver and its plug and play with ubuntu 10.04 lucid.

Tony

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: