Windows XP Disk Check Report

Old 02-03-11, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows XP Disk Check Report

Good Morning All,

I am nursing a sick machine* that is running XP w/service pac 3. I did a complete disk check yesterday and monitored the conduct as it progressed (for more than an hour). However, I cannot find the final summary report. The report of the number of sectors checked/found bad, etc was on the screen but not long enough for this person to read and comprehend.

I've searched Microsoft and the web and can find 23,000 hits on how to RUN a disk check, but no other information about the process, nor how to dig out the report. It's been a while since I've browsed my boot.log but don't think the results will be there.

Anyone know where Microsoft is hiding he results of my disk check? Thanks.

* I think my virus software has turned on me. If it's running it does not allow me to open MSIE or Firefox. I'm trying to solve with assistance of the manufacturer before I return here on that subject.

John

Old 02-03-11, 08:21 AM
Beats me, too.

But if you want a results screen that will display for an indefinite period, click on Start > Run, then enter CMD and press RETURN.
When the terminal window is displayed, you have two choices:
1: Type CHKDSK (return) to analyze and display the results, OR
2. Type CHKDSK/F (return) to have the program fix any problems it finds.

You will also get a prompt for 2 at the end of the analysis in 1.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-11, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I know it's not what you asked...but what AV are you running. Your unable to open browser symptoms sound like what I had when I got some malware. And I was running AVG active at the time...still got through.

Old 02-03-11, 10:45 AM
GG. Thanks. Send this over to a new tread if you wish.

Trend Micro. It has been very good and played nice with microsoft and our other installed programs and not invasive like another. Have plenty of bad experiences with that in the past. The yellow boxed AV is a $69 virus unto its own!

The AV worked very good, but unbeknown to me, some problems updating the program cropped up. The operator stopped updating the program many moons ago and I think that a lengthy period of operating without protection or current file updates finally caught up with us.

We know we have one bad sector on the machine. That lone sector contained all of the ms outlook files. Apparently when that sector pooped, TM wasn't able to cope and may have stopped working all together. Time will tell because I don't have time to work on this hourly or daily. Keeping my fingers crossed TM and some of you can shed light.

I would like to read the results of the disk check I did yesterday so I can have a notion of the state of the disk today.

Old 02-03-11, 10:51 AM
tldoug, thanks.

I tried the easy ops. My Computer > Tools > Error Checking and checked from there. Then when I restarted it performed the scan. I requested the operation to find/fix and it was working and repairing. I was using my digital camera to record the process. When it got to the end summary, I reached for the camera and <blink> the screen changed and the program closed.

Old 02-03-11, 12:33 PM
By golly, I found it. Just one of those things when searching and not using the syntax in the manner that would generate the response. Found it.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Even Viewer > Information and select winlogon!

There was a copy of the report for the disk check.

Seems my Bad Cluster file is getting bigger and by most accounts, we better start backing up (as I type) and save our data before the inevitable poop, uh... I mean HD failure happens!

Old 02-03-11, 12:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The hard drive on my PC is failing at work - I back up nightly so I cannot lose more than one day's work if it completely pukes before its replacement shows up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: