Advice on setting up Thunderbird?

Old 02-07-11, 07:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on setting up Thunderbird?

Hi,

I finally got tired of Gmail's limitations and bad habit of losing entries in my address book, so I installed Thunderbird as my client. I'm happy with Thunderbird, however the one problem I have not been able to resolve is the GnuPG installation. I have downloaded the files several times, yet Thunderbird continues to complain that it cannot find the executable file. When I look in the GnuPG folder, sure enough, there is no file with an .exe extension.

So, what's the problem here?

I'm only semi-literate in this area, so please give me terms a senior citizen understands (not first-grader lingo - they are too advanced!).

Thanks for any help!
Neal

Old 02-07-11, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Neal, completely uninstall the GnuPG by clicking on control panel and add/remove programs. Once it is uninstalled, try reinstalling the program. Hopefully it will insert the .exe file. Let us know.

Old 02-08-11, 10:56 AM
S
Chandler,
The trouble is, it was never installed b/c there is no executable file. I did delete all existing GnuPG files that had been extracted to my computer, then downloaded again - same result, no gnupg-1.4.10\INSTALL.exe file can be found, which is what's needed by Thunderbird.

Very weird - I can't be the only user of T'bird that has had this problem!

Neal

Old 02-08-11, 11:18 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Files

When I look in the GnuPG folder, sure enough, there is no file with an .exe extension.
What files are there? Any zip files? Any sub folders?

Old 02-08-11, 03:29 PM
S
This afternoon I spent some time digging around in Thunderbird's (Mozilla's) knowledge base, and finally found a reference which described the problem I'm having. Turns out there is a different (binary) download which has embedded executables that automatically installs GnuPG. Not immediately obvious, and not explained anywhere during the T'bird installation. Guess yer not supposed to be fooling with this complicated stuff unless ya know what yer doin?

Did that, and now it seems to be working correctly.

For anyone who is looking for this download, it is under "binaries" on the GnuPG download page.

Thanks to those who offered help!
Neal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: