unreliable internet connectivity

Old 02-07-11, 08:53 AM
unreliable internet connectivity

I am trying to help a friend with his laptop running Win XP. It is current on service packs and other Microsoft updates.

When using internet explorer and browsing his Yahoo email account, IE will stop responding and appear to be wating to load a page which never appears and eventually times out and comes back with a "page not found" type error. I had this happen with both a wireless and a wired network connection. When it happened, I went to a command prompt and tried to ping various sites. Interestingly, the yahoo sites were not reposnding but I could get to some other sites. I tried to load Firefox and see if it was browser related but it made no difference. The only thing that seemed to resolve it was to break the network connection and re-establish it and even this was not always reliable.

I have to believe that some program is kicking in and affecting his Windows firewall. He is running Viper for virus scanning and an encryption program for business email but no other 3rd party security type software. I do not see any related entries in the event log. How do I track this down?

The internet service is ATT Uverse and the router is a 2wire from ATT. The lady of the house said she had a similar issue not long ago on another PC in the house was directed by ATT to disable some type of filter or virus protection program through her online account settings for programs that ATT managed. It seemed to "heal itself" (her words) after that and her compute worked fine. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I asked about any new software installed recently and, of course, the answer is no.

Any other suggestions?

- Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-11, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Disable Windows Firewall. If you use a wireless router, that is your firewall. See if that helps.