1.4 HDMI Cables with Ethernet?

Old 02-09-11, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1.4 HDMI Cables with Ethernet?

I am researching HDMI cables and I have a question. I am noticing that the new 1.4 cables have a built in Ethernet channel? Anyone know that this is for?

Vanco 277003X 28 AWG 3 ft 1.4 High Speed 1080p HDMI Cable CL3 Rated

What applications is this actually used? Is it saying this can be used like a network patch cable? Any insight on this will be much appreciated!

Last edited by jackinstaller; 02-09-11 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-11, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Yes its like a built in ethernet cable but the devices it attached to have to support it.

Mike NJ

Old 02-09-11, 11:38 PM
This looks like FUD to me. The thing you need to understand is that Ethernet isn't a physical cable type at all. It's a digital format. Standard Ethernet cables are basically 4-conductor copper (yeah I know they have 8 wires, but 4 of them aren't used. Go figure). So theoretically any cable with 4 or more wires can be used to run Ethernet, if the things it's plugged into support it. It can also be run across fiber optics. I don't think there's anything special about an HDMI cable that the Ethernet format can be run through it... I'm quite certain that this cable isn't somehow interchangeable with the common RJ45 Ethernet cables. Just another manufacturer trying to look special by claiming a "feature" that's actually part of the standard.

Old 02-10-11, 04:48 AM
Have a look at this.

If the TV has an IP spigot ... and the device you're connecting to requires an IP connection ... and both the TV and the device conform to the HDMI 1.4 ethernet standard ... the device can use the HDMI 1.4 cable to access the TV's IP connection.