motherboard likes to restart on its own and not load completely

Old 02-12-11, 07:34 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
motherboard likes to restart on its own and not load completely

ok this just started after moving my computer to my room , everything was done like it should be and hooked up right . my mother board is a MSI p45 neo2 . after getting it hooked up then starting it it just kept restarting after a couple seconds , i got an error code about overclock settings didnt work and was rest to default , well i never overclocked the board . its only bout 6 months old if that , prior to moving the computer it worked fine . i contaced msi after resetting the cmos a couple times and i got it to load 1 time with out problems but had to shut it back down due to forgetting to plug in the eithernet . after speaking with msi he suggested to remove the cmos battery and let it sit then try again . i done so and the restarting i was getting has all but come to a stop but now i have no video signal to my video card from the mother board . this issue i have had several times b4 with prior boards from them , starting with a p6nslifi ( come to find out after they upgraded me thsi board had cpu issues ) they sent me a couple of this same board and i finally told them im not messing with this model as it wasnt worth my time the second one done the same as the first ( no video signal to the video card ) so they gave me a new board after a while i started having problems with this one then all of a sudden it wouldnt load any thing . and now this one is doing the same . cpu is a intel 5200 2.5ghz dual core 2 2 gig sticks of balistics ram 9800gt video card and a 650 antec neo blue power supply . i know my video card and everything else are good as this is the 3rd time i have had this issue with no video out , the monitor will kick off power saving and after bout 5 seconds goes back to sleep when the computer is turned on ..

Old 02-12-11, 08:21 PM
I am not familiar with your motherboard, but my approach to finding the source of the problem is generic. This is what I would do:
0.1 Ensure all internal connectors are properly seated.
1. Remove all PCI add-in cards.
2. Remove and reinstall the video card. Ensure it is seated properly.
3. Remove all but one memory module.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. If 4 fails, disable ALL onboard external interfaces (usb, ethernet, etc.)
6. Reboot the computer

If it's still not (re)booting, check back and we'll investigate more options.
If you can reboot, progressively reinstall removed memory and other cards and re-enable onboard interfaces.

My experience is that the failure mode you desribe is a function of improperly installled cards and/or connectors. There is no other reason that merely relocating the computer should cause a failure.

tldoug

Old 02-12-11, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It could also be a power supply that's just starting to fail. They fail in some odd ways.

Old 02-13-11, 10:12 AM
M
check everything

have you tested the power supply?
make a small jumper to pins 14 - 15 ( Test ATX Power Supply )
to see if the power supply puts out power, if you got a multi meter check the 6 pin PCIe power supply header going to the video card, most basic video cards do not need the auxillary power, except for high performance cards ( I have a 9750gx2 and it takes 2 of them of them to video card , or it will not fire up )
if you had spare cheap pci card, you can see if it fires up in the motherboard

i had a similiar problem with my ASUS board, turned out to be the CPU ( AMD 4400 ), not the BIOS or the chipset, replace the motherboard with a ASUS P7P55D PRO and still have the 9750gx2, everthing else transferred, except for CPU and Mem, since new board has i5 750 with 4 gb ram.

but i did all the tests, stripped down to bare cpu, mem and vid card, and swapped out for another pci vid card ( i did not have another pci-e vid card ) to see if it could isolate the problem.

Old 02-13-11, 07:16 PM
C
nothing was removed or installed before moving or after the move . everything is installed the way it should be ! i built the computer my self bout 6 months ago and it had sat for bout a week shut off and on a back up ups battery i wasnt using it due to my borderlands save files would not be reconized for some reason so i kept it shut off and was using my other computer

Old 02-13-11, 07:38 PM
C
the power supply is only bout 2yrs old same with the ram motherboard is only bout 6months old this one makes the 2nd new board msi sent me due to having the same issue b4 the not loading and nothing booting up ! it would do this out of the blue and with out warning except 1 time with my previous board it started acting up and the computer was moving slow and for bout a month it would just get slower and slower then the day i went to reformat the hard drive it stops working all together. i know the issue is not the video card as i had the bios showing several times when the computer would not do the restart on its self and it would just continue to restart after a few seconds of loading , then shut off and load again all on its own ( this says to me its not the power supply more like the motherboard ) besides the error i seen a couple times about overclocking had failed and settings was set to default . i dont know what would cause this other then the bios is messed up some how as i dont know anything about over clocking . i had windows loaded 1 time out of least 12 if not more and had to shut it back down cause i forgot to plug in the eithernet . the last time i got windows to try n load just bout time it was to load up and show the desktop i got the blue screen where windows crashed . i restarted and went to the bios and the screen had no writing on it , it was nothing but the blue window screen but the writing didnt show up . then i spoke with the lead tech at msi and he suggested to remove the cmos ( this hole time i have been using the reset button to clear the cmos to get it to load windows , some times it worked some times it didnt ) battery , so i did for a couple hrs then when i put it back in , that is when i started getting the no video out put . now the lead tech @ msi says this board is out of warrenty already and didnt come with a 3yr warrenty due to already haveing a motherboard , the warrenty continued from it . but also told me the last board was already out of warrenty, but they replaced it for me to help me out . none of this was told to me when they replaced the board the last time . besides they kept tring to get me to take the same model of motherboard i had to start with , that i had all the trouble with AND they admitted to me that had cpu compatability issues ! that also wouldnt work with my processor , that i didnt know at the time and wasted money to ship my cpu to intel have it checked out . i cant afford to have anything checked by a computer shop ,for 1 i have no income right now and 2 there arent any close by that wont try to rip you off first chance they get . i cant swap out parts as i dont have any extra to swap and i almost promise that i change my motherboard and start the computer up it will work right ! its done it the last 3 times ive had motherboard issues

Old 02-14-11, 12:55 PM
C
i have it narrowed down to my problem was with one or both dvd drives , messing with the motherboard . i tried to get it to load again last night but still was getting the blank screen . so i shut it off and turned the power supply switch off and unplugged my 2 dvd drives one is ide other is sata and tried to start the computer again after clearing the cmos . this worked and it loaded right up and started the drive error check i set the last time it started windows .. it was up and working all night till bout 1pm when i shut it down for the day . i restarted it early this morning to install an update for my firewall and it loaded right back up fine with out any problems . later today im going to plug in one of my dvd drives and see if it will load up right and go from there as right now i have no optical drives hooked up ..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: