dang kids (How do I remove Divx program)

Old 02-19-11, 06:09 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dang kids (How do I remove Divx program)

Kids downloaded Divx onto my computer, now it has taken over part of my picture viewer, can't view incoming pictures, or files, it brings up stuff that we have viewed on our computer, and not the selected file or picture. I also can't view anything that I scan, brings up stuff we've viewed on our computer and not the intended file or picture. How can I get rid of Divx, it doesn't let me !

Old 02-19-11, 06:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Have you tried Control Panel, add remove programs, yet? What have you done to try and remove it?

Old 02-19-11, 06:35 AM
G
Yes, I've gone to control panel, add remove programs, and I click on "change/remove", and it does nothing. I have one or 2 others that won't let me remove them, such as "ask.com" toolbar, etc. I just want the Divx off of there for now so I can view incoming documents. !

Old 02-19-11, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
What OS are you using? Have you tried uninstalling it through the Divx program?

Old 02-19-11, 07:09 AM
W
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Removal of Divx

Try going to task manager and stopping all of the Divx programs. Then go to control panel and remove.

Old 02-19-11, 07:12 AM
G
Windows XP Home. I don't know how to get to the Divx program, it's not on "all programs" and I can't find anything about it anywhere on my computer, except where it is on "add/remove programs", and it won't let me do anything, I click on it, the screen flashes, then goes back to the same page, "add/remove programs" with Divx still highlighted.

Old 02-19-11, 07:15 AM
G
Tried going to task manager, tried "end process" and "end process tree", doesn't work. I go to "add/remove programs" afterwards and it does nothing still.

Old 02-19-11, 08:04 AM
Eeew, is your antivirus program up to date? Have you run it lately? They may have downloaded a "program" complete with a virus. It is acting like one.

Old 02-19-11, 08:17 AM
M
malware, radlight divx program?

what is the exact name of the process EXE file?
do a search for that in windows explorer
when you find it
( make sure you have view hidden extension turned on )
see if you can rename the extention from EXE to EX1
then reboot
this should stop the program from running
then go into the registry
and search for all traces of the EXE file name
and delete the entries
then delete the program manually
( one you know where it lies )
it sounds very much like malware

as for ask toolbar

Remove and Delete Ask Toolbar and Its Components From Internet Explorer and Your Computer

Old 02-19-11, 08:23 AM
G
I have McAfee, all up to date, I've ran a scan, nothing. I've Goggled the same case scenario, and I've seen other people having the same problem, it seems Divx, pirates certain parts of your computer, they have made suggestions on how to get rid of it, I've tried a few, they didn't work, there is one suggestion that looks very, very hard, but I'd have to litterally write a book so I could follow it while I do it. Maybe my only alternative is to dump my whole computer, I have the original recovery discs ?

Old 02-19-11, 08:34 AM
G
I tried the things on the link you sent me to get rid of the "Ask" toolbar, they didn't work, tried em before, so I clicked on the un-installer, and it tried to give me a Trojan virus, but McAfee saved me !

Old 02-19-11, 08:34 PM
M
re vo to thew rescue?

try revo and a forced uninstall

for both ask and divx

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily

btw to uninstall the ask toolbar it might be normal as some programs
when uninstalling will go to website to ask you to take a short survey as to why you uninstalled the program, i just close the window , I am not a fan of McAffee, as it might be giving you a false positive, are you running Firefox or Internet Explorer, I run AVG Free edition and it warns me of redirects to bad websites,

I have never had a problem uninstalling the ask toolbar which installs when you install an increasing amount of free ware, that how some free ware gets paid, but having other 3rd party programs installed ( especially if you are not paying attention to the installer ), so I am a bit puzzled as to why you cannot uninstall it

Old 02-20-11, 04:52 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you been double-clicking on picture files to open them? What happens if you open Paint (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Paint) and use File/Open to view a JPG picture? Can you see it without DivX opening?

If so, you may be able to re-associate file types with the original programs so you can at least view what you want. Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and click Tools/Folder Options/File Types. If DivX is the default program associated with any files, change the program to whatever program you want to use to open the files. This won't remove DivX but it may treat the symptom in the meantime.

Old 02-20-11, 05:09 AM
G
Thanks guys, the un-installer worked !

Old 02-20-11, 09:57 AM
Now it's time for a little fireside chat with the kids. Hope you let them in on the problems you incurred in trying to get rid of this thing. Maybe they will be more reluctant to "download" anything without making you aware of it...........naaaa!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: