yellow exclamations in device manager

Old 12-26-00, 05:48 PM
Hey guys! I have a question about my device manager. Everything seems to be ok except I have a yellow exclamation under system devices/pci bridge and pci isa bridge. Also under usb I have an exclamation for pci universal serial bus. What do these thing actually do? My system seems to work great, except media player wont work {wont play videos downloaded}As a matter of fact, if I try to download a video I cant even find the file anywhere when its done. Is all this stuff connected? Thank ya!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-00, 09:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Treading cautiously.

Hi halfwet,

I try not to stick my neck out too far on computer questions. But I just have to ask if you have an AMD processor or a VIA chipset? It sounds like you are having IRQ problems, which can be frustrating on the newer operating systems. If you have a VIA (I think I have that spelled right) chipset, and you have reinstalled windows, then their is a mini port IRQ router patch that will fix your problem. If your don't have a VIA chipset, then forget I was ever here. lol The VIA chips will have those letters on the chip itself and you will be able to clearly see it. It may also appear briefly during boot up.

Mark

Old 12-27-00, 04:36 PM
I have an amd 600mhz proccessor running windows 95. I just got a new wingman joystick by logitech and windows wont detect it, nor can I seem to install it manually. Ive hooked it to the serial bus port and also to the game port, neither one wants to recognize it....any ideas?? Thanks

Old 12-27-00, 06:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Post Did you reinstall windows?

Hi halfwet,

Before I look up the correct websites, let me verify a few things with a few questions.

1. Have you reinstalled windows since you acquired the pc?
2. Have you reformatted your windows drive (C Drive)?
3. Does your motherboard use the VIA Apollo chipset?

This last question may sound like techno-jargon but let me simplify it. A pc motherboard is product assembled with products from different manufacturers. Most of these components are not new to anyone. They include:
- motherboard
- bios
- cpu
- chipset (this one is less well known to most)

You have an AMD cpu, and probably and AWARD bios, and a motherboard from a vendor I do not know. The last important component that is purchased from a different vendor is the chipset. The chipset performs miscellaneous functions. Some motherboards with AMD cpu's have VIA Apollo chipsets. Most of these pc's, yours may be one, require a software patch to fix dynamic IRQ routing, which simply means assigning IRQ's on the fly. Without the patch, your pc may or may not consistently reconize devices. i.e sound card works, then modem works, and sound card stops working etc. In short, you will get eractic results with some of your devices.

If you have formated your drive where windows is installed, usually C drive, then this patch would no longer be installed on your machine. Simply reinstalling windows does not install this patch. However, the symptom for this is a 'question mark' instead of a 'exclamation mark' as you say you have. I wonder if reinstalling windows without formatting the drive would cause this symptom you have.

Most of this is documented in the VIA web site and I will look it up for you later if you think you need it.
If you are a candidate for this patch I will reply and tell more about where to download the patch, as well as how to insure your bios plug n play setting is correct in your bios.

Gee now that I have said all that, maybe your problem is much simpler. Your pc probably has an onboard serial port and you can optionally add serial port cards. If you add a serial port card, you sometimes need to instruct the motherboard that you have done such so the bios can correctly assign IRQ's. You instruct the motherboard either via a dip switch(the older boards) or a bios setting like your 600mhz machine. If this turns out to be the nature of your problem, I will not be of much help. Those things take more time than I have to offer, since it requires reading the documentation with the motherboard and some trial and error. I have never done this with Win95 and frankly, don't want to. I spent to many hours fighting win95 and skipped over it for win98, although I do run win95 on my pc in my garage that I use for electronic software and Parallax Basic Stamp microcode software.

To summarize, answer the 3 questions posed above in this message.

The most important part of troubleshooting a pc problem is to have a known working system at a point in time, from which changes (new joystick,etc) have created symptoms. So keep track of every change you make to hardware, drivers and bios settings. This allows you to go back to a working system and retrace your events leading up to the problem. It can take alot of time, but the alternative for most people is to buy a new pc when their pc becomes plagued with little problems over time.

To answer a few of your questions as best I can. Your media player may be broke due to a sound card or driver problem. Again, IRQ related stuff. PCI is the name given to the type of hardware slot in your motherboard. The older types of slots were ISA, EISA, VESA. If you plug a card in the pci slot, it will show up here in device manager. Some of it is just software, for example, I think (but am not sure) that the pci/isa bridge is just how the hardware shows isa devices when they are emulated in pci slots. Getting fuzzy huh. The pci/usb listing will show usb devices that are attached via an pci card. They sell usb cards for $30 you can install in your pci slot, then you can go buy usb devices and 'just plug them in'. Its cool stuff! Don't do this on win95 unless you read up on it. There are restrictions on in for win95.

All this writing has pointed out something odd. You have a 600 mhz machine but run win95. They don't normally sell win95 with the new machines. Did you buy yours with win95 installed?

'Nough for now.

Mark

Old 12-30-00, 08:11 PM
hacker
Visiting Guest
halfwet,

the most important thing to find out is, what kind of motherboard do you have. That way you can be directed to the next thing to do.

Everything Mark Chapman said is correct, but without knowing what your MB is, and model #, there are too many guesses made for a diagnosis of your problem.

If you can't find the MB documentation, let us know what kind of comp it is.

It could be a Windows problem or a driver problem.

If your comp is a retial, Compaq, HP, etc., go to their web-site and see if their are any downloads for your pci/isa bridge problem.

AMD, on their site, has a pci bridge driver.

Just make sure it can be used on your MB.

Good Luck!

Old 01-01-01, 06:14 PM
Ok guys, heres all I know..[about this subject anyway] haha, the mainboards user manual says ms-6191 Micro atx ir2 mainboard and the box it came in says asus computer, slot A k7m motherboard. I bought the system [minus monitor] thru ebay and it did not have windows installed, so I installed win95 since I allready had it on my older pc. I managed to get the joystick to work and everything works great except mediaplayer, their upgrade site says not to upgrade player 7.0 to win95 and I havent been able to find where to upgrade to player 6.4 on that site, assuming thats the latest version I can upgrade too with win95. The version I have is 6.01. Does this help clarify anything? Thank you!

Old 01-01-01, 06:21 PM
ok I also found in the manual about the chipset...AMD Irongate {Northbridge} -200mhz EV6 System Interface speed -100mhz SDRAM -1x/2x AGP-Status-Silicon currently in bring-up. Then under that it says....AMD756 {viper} chipset {southbridge} _OHCIUSB-APIC-ACPI Power Management. Thats all I can find about the chipset..Thanks

Old 01-02-01, 05:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool Time for me to chicken out!

Hi halfwet,

Golly gee, I had a feeling this would happen, but I am going to chicken out on this. So very very sorry. This will remind me to dwell in the land of issues that don't require a professional answer.

Fact is, I love to learn, share, learn more, do more and chat about it. But, I tend to overstep my boundaries at times. I am guilty of having too much time to experiment with obstacles I myself encounter, ..next thing ya know, I think I am an expert everywhere! That reminds me of a line in a Clint Eastwood movie, " ...a man's got to know his boundaries...". Wish I could help more, but my tail is between my legs now.

Mark

Old 01-02-01, 05:21 PM
hacker
Visiting Guest
halfwet,
Good info. Got to AMD's web-site, http://www.amd.com, go to

Support/software,drivers,patches,toools/ athlon processors

and download "AMD Driver Pack, Ver 1.00"

This could help.

Keep in touch.

Good Luck!

Old 01-07-01, 07:14 PM
Ok thanks hacker, I havent loaded the patch just yet. I downloaded media player 6.4 and everything on my system is working {at least every application that I do is ok] allthough I still have the yellow exclamations in the device manager[as per the first post} >What exactly does a serial bus port do, and do I need to fix it if I dont have a problem with anything? Thanks again

Old 01-15-01, 05:13 PM
hacker
Visiting Guest
Hi halfwet,

back again.

The serial bus port is for connecting external devices. Not uesd for much anymore, except for some external modems.
It's ransfer rate is slower than USB's (Universal Serial Bus).

Fix it? Well, having a problem and not fining it would bother me on my machine. But, if your not using it, there shouldn't be a problem with letting it go.

As for the yellow exclamations. Try double clicking on one. I seem to remember doing that and then getting something like "Windows has detected a problem. Would you like it to fix it?" Click Yes.

Anyway, be sure to load those AMD drivers and check the other web-sites of your hardware for updated drivers.

Good Luck!

Old 01-24-01, 06:59 PM
Loomisman
Visiting Guest
Hello Halfwet. Can you call the technical number of the manufacture of your computer? They would know best how to correct any issue that you are having with your computer. After all they built it and should stand behind it also. Computers sure have the tendancy to mess up from time to time. Good luck...Loomisman

Old 01-25-01, 05:36 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

Halfwet... Why in heavens name are you running Windoze 95? Get that off that machine and get at least Windoze ME on it. Actually u should be running Windoze 2000! But for your and our sanity, get 95 off that computer and make u a nice drink coaster out of it!!!

Search this Thread